Better to focus on a single species as a beginner ?

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
Of all the places to move on earth! Montreal has an incredible botanical garden featuring very important bonsai and penjing trees. You'll see some great examples of what can be grown in that climate after you visit. I wouldn't mind moving there myself, but I won't touch on that subject here haha
I remember many pics a member posted after visiting that garden, nice examples of what can be done there, very excited.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yan, Leo gave you some very good advice. Bonsai is usually seen as a solitary hobby, done alone, but it’s even more fun with friends. Especially when working with large material!

The collaboration, exchange of ideas, helping hands all make for a great experience for everyone.

Repotting can be a physically challenging activity for older people, and for those with larger trees. Several people working together on a tree makes the work easier and faster.

So... offer to help to repot! You don’t actually have to know anything! Just do what the experienced person says to do.

As an example, when repotting, once the tree is removed from the pot, the first thing I do is work the bottom of the rootball with the three pronged scraper that looks like a fork with curved tones. To get access to the base of the rootball, I tilt the tree over sideways 90 degrees. The branches hang over the side of the work table. On smallish trees, I can hold the tree in this position with one hand and work the scraper with the other. On a big tree, I can’t. It’s best to have someone else hold the trunk of the tree to keep it from falling while I work the root ball. In my case, I can get my son to do that.

My point is, by volunteering to be a “helper” you can learn how the experts do things.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My point is, by volunteering to be a “helper” you can learn how the experts do things.
Key is however to ensure you do not just help anyone who needs help, but also help people that have amazing trees.

Reactions: YAN

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Native species always better, beginner or not. Can't change nature, if it thrives in your climate, thats always a good thing.
If you have such limited space, I'd say get the species you want the most. You do a hobby for enjoyment, get the tree you'll enjoy. In time you'll learn about them.

I'd say only way to speed up your learning and experience, is having more space for more trees. In your situation, buy the trees you enjoy. Start cheap. Hurts a lot less to kill a cheap tree.
Yep , spend 30-40 on a tree maximum , anything more you’ll be paranoid.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep , spend 30-40 on a tree maximum , anything more you’ll be paranoid.

You'll get a point where you can appreciate material for what it is, much more and be willing to spend 100, 200, 300£ on a tree though. As with all hobbies, more you get in to it, more money goes in to it.
Or play the long game, get a load of material and start ground growing it, some bits only take 5-10 years for substantial growth and potential.

This is presuming you have the ground to grow it in.....

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You'll get a point where you can appreciate material for what it is, much more and be willing to spend 100, 200, 300£ on a tree though. As with all hobbies, more you get in to it, more money goes in to it.
Or play the long game, get a load of material and start ground growing it, some bits only take 5-10 years for substantial growth and potential.

This is presuming you have the ground to grow it in.....
Haha yeah I agree , I guess for me it’s finding that more expensive tree(if needed) because alot of places that aren’t bonsai , they’re not bonsai material..check out my post , I’m new too. For bonsai shops I just get raw material or tools/ pots etc. if I were to buy Something in development, I’d rather get to that stage on my own

Last edited:
Top Bottom