Big-ass olive progression

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today I won an auction on this Olive tree. It is the wild olive, so small leaves that reduce to very small as the tree develops. This is right now in unworked state, and sitting in someone elses garden, so I can only think about paths into the future. Will post the updates in this thread. For now.. Only the registration.. For size: The base is 10 inches wide.
1675629561714.png1675629590557.png
1675629511262.png1675629523781.png1675629543589.png

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Big ass and………”bad ass”. 😎 Just trying to reinforce it in your lexicon. 😁. Lot of potential in the tree. 👍

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hm.. update maybe?

OK.. Sorry..

I have given the feet some space, left it to grow and wired it a few weeks ago. Now it is rough looking again and I could go in an add wire & prune suckers. Happy tree time.
I have come to realize that the crown of the tree needs to be completely grown out from a 5 leaf branchlet that I wired up already for this purpose. :)

Considering removing a fat branch in the back, halfway up on the right. Thoughts?
1692450319857.png

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Progressing nicely! Removing the fat branch may improve drawing vision to the crown. Should be an easy Photoshop check...:)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hm.. update maybe?

OK.. Sorry..

I have given the feet some space, left it to grow and wired it a few weeks ago. Now it is rough looking again and I could go in an add wire & prune suckers. Happy tree time.
I have come to realize that the crown of the tree needs to be completely grown out from a 5 leaf branchlet that I wired up already for this purpose. :)

Considering removing a fat branch in the back, halfway up on the right. Thoughts?
View attachment 503715
I’m less than a year into bonsai, but I’m understanding the value and aesthetic of negative space, and I think that’s a fine idea.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Progressing nicely! Removing the fat branch may improve drawing vision to the crown. Should be an easy Photoshop check...:)
funny you say this, as this branch is not o the tree anymore. In fact, the first sketch I made initially had that branch already removed.
As I was looking at the pictures & video, I slapped my forehead and thought, why did I leave that there!

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you share a more recent pic? (is this the tree from your latest video - I haven't had the change to see it yet)

Top Bottom