Big Blue Potato Bush Project - Styling

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
@sorce, when I used the word natural I mean I don't care for flowering trees that remind me of of topiary. None of the tropical flowering trees I've seen look 'overly' styled. I'm able to feel the tree first and not what someone's done to make it look that way. I get that after my first overall reaction and see the workmanship involved and know a lot of un-natural processes were used to achieve a natural look.

Also, the tree seems to be dreading winter and clinging to the last rays of natural light. Maybe it would be happier somewhere warmer in the south. I wouldn't steal it but perhaps borrow it and then let the tree decide where it would like to live after wintering in paradise with lots of new friends. Seems fair.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Actually, I bought one of these from a landscape place in FL on a visit early in the game, -too early to know how to care for it. I don't remember how long it lived, but it wasn't long. I might try it again after looking at this one! Matter of fact here they are!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Actually, I bought one of these from a landscape place in FL on a visit early in the game, -too early to know how to care for it. I don't remember how long it lived, but it wasn't long. I might try it again after looking at this one! Matter of fact here they are!
Now why did you have to post the link, I have resisted buying much this year.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I do like that those are variegated. Around here you see this species in people's yards, but never variegated.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I do like that those are variegated. Around here you see this species in people's yards, but never variegated.
I've never seen one but I am intrigued. Not much for variegated plants in general though.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I also dont remenber seeing the berries here they are very commonly planted, the other day I collected a nice rooted sucker from a big potato bush
They're a strange plant for sure, but so pretty. I'm finding that they like moist soil (not my pumice+lava in dry climate) and tons of sun. Just like bougainvillea the more sunlight they get the more flowering they get.
The strange part is that they're toxic. I've read that animals can get sick if they eat the branches, although I caught my dog using a thick branch as a chew toy (half eaten) and he never had a reaction.
I have to be careful to wear sleeves when I trim this tree because my forearms will get a rash where a freshly cut branch touches my skin.
The berries were a fun surprise this morning

Top Bottom