big box store houspelant bugs in moss

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
just curious: i got a snake plant (very nice as a gift, from lowes i think it was) and i had to drill the pot for it and my xmas cactus.
the snake plant was from lowes in what looked like compacted strands of green moss, on top of small soil bound roots. i removed it all
and noticed a lot of tiny bugs in the moss. hopefully they dont spread because some of it did fall into my repotting soil. i made my ceramic cuts and repotted them, and the snake plant i watered with my 50/50 hydroperoxide, liberally. it seems happy now but just an FYI for those getting plants in that moss...had a ton of bugs in it.
20200907_150006_resized.jpg20200907_150012_resized.jpg

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My guess is that they are fungus gnats.

All those succulents only need water sparingly and fungus gnats like moisture.

If the bugs were in the soil it could be springtails, that have a similar need for moisture.

let em dry out before you water.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My guess is that they are fungus gnats.

All those succulents only need water sparingly and fungus gnats like moisture.

If the bugs were in the soil it could be springtails, that have a similar need for moisture.

let em dry out before you water.
yeah - i do, these are south window and only get water once a week on sat mornings. i mist my tropicals in other south window with humidifier
near them. what i posted about was that i was gifted the large snake plant and it came in wiry green moss packed around it - filled with bugs that didnt fly. they might have been nymphs or w.e. but it didnt look good. i solved it with repot and hydro peroxide and its growing better. i think i drilled that pot too.
succulents moreso mealybugs and spidermites for tropicals on the leafs, or ahpids. i use mosquito bits you can see on the top soil for fungus gnat assistance (and i dont water often)

just got a nice philodendron and rubber ficus from CA and the rubber ficus came with multiple plants, next year im going to seclude or seperate them and bonsai process some of them.

20200830_071033~2_resized.jpg20200820_071130~2_resized.jpg20200912_181429~2_resized.jpg

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Next time first have a proper look. Most "bugs"are no problem at all and do not need treatment.

Mosquito bits and peroxide are not needed when you give these plants proper care.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Next time first have a proper look. Most "bugs"are no problem at all and do not need treatment.

Mosquito bits and peroxide are not needed when you give these plants proper care.
i hear you. this isnt my first rodeo per say. havent had gnats in a while and they really do just correlate w overwater.
what i found in the gifted snake plant stock-moss was excessive bugs. like 100 of them per inch

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they are springtails that might be beneficial as they reduce fungus.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
If they are springtails that might be beneficial as they reduce fungus.
if they were baby springtails or those in general you could be right and good to know, thanks

i have run into a few things before. i think outside in one of my trees i had thrips once. yellow/clear bugs
1/4 the size of a ladybug

Top Bottom