Big crepe myrtle..... it pays to chat up your hobby

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Talking plants with my brother-in-law, he said he had a crepe myrtle he needed to be gone. "I'll be glad to take that off your hands. No charge." Ha! Took most of an hour to dig it up. It had a 4" tap root to cut. Surprisingly hard wood. Not a whole lot of feeder roots, but crepes are pretty resilient, so it should be alright.

unnamed (58).jpg

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've always wanted to take one of these and create a twin trunk, I think it's been done often with bald cypress. So many options

Screenshot_20230223_171333_Chrome.jpg

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've always wanted to take one of these and create a twin trunk, I think it's been done often with bald cypress. So many options

View attachment 474010
Yes, I considered that idea too. I've done a few cypresses that way. The all-important first flush will let me know what course I'll take.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A little update. Two 1/16" nubs have sprouted, so it looks like it lives. I'll be 69 next month, so I hope I'm kicking long enough to see it look like a bonsai.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Another update. She's taking off. There's a lot of sprouting from the base/roots that I had to slow down by pinching the growing tips. That little clump was wanting to be a shohin! Trying to redirect the growth to the sprouts further up the trunk.

unnamed (68).jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Another update. She's taking off. There's a lot of sprouting from the base/roots that I had to slow down by pinching the growing tips. That little clump was wanting to be a shohin! Trying to redirect the growth to the sprouts further up the trunk.

View attachment 479110
Isn't it sort of early to be controlling the growth at this time? I always thought...one wants all new growth early on.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Isn't it sort of early to be controlling the growth at this time? I always thought...one wants all new growth early on.
This is something @rockm told me about.
I was always plucking low shoots/suckers off of newly collected material in hopes that the plant wouldn’t ditch the upper portion of the plant.
This I learned isn’t quit the right procedure.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yes..... normally. I go a bit by feel in situations like this. The bottom growth was really taking off and I felt it was taking energy from the shoots I wanted to grow. I didn't cut the bottom growth off, just pinched the tips to hopefully encourage more top growth. Scientific proof? None. A hunch from growing 35 different species? Yep.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes..... normally. I go a bit by feel in situations like this. The bottom growth was really taking off and I felt it was taking energy from the shoots I wanted to grow. I didn't cut the bottom growth off, just pinched the tips to hopefully encourage more top growth. Scientific proof? None. A hunch from growing 35 different species? Yep.
The last time I had a big crepe myrtle in a bonsai pot similar to yours, I cut all the bottom growth off and the tree died. The growth on the top alone wasn't sufficient to regrow the roots. I think you are doing the right thing by just gently pointing it the other way.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The last time I had a big crepe myrtle in a bonsai pot similar to yours, I cut all the bottom growth off and the tree died. The growth on the top alone wasn't sufficient to regrow the roots. I think you are doing the right thing by just gently pointing it the other way.
I'm counting on the auxin, or lack thereof, to redirect the growth where I want it. The foliage on the bottom is still contributing to replacing nutrients in the tree and helping to grow new roots. There were almost no small feeder roots, so I'm preceding with as much caution as I can muster.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Update- 5 months from collection. She's growing so fast, I've pruned off twice as much as you see here just to keep the branches from breaking in the wind. I cut the leader back a month or so ago because it was over 3 feet tall and seemed to be exerting too much leverage at its base. I put in a piece of aluminum wire to hold up the leader in case the kamikaze birds land on the canopy. I'll have to unroll a bit more as the tree has grown a bit. I let a branch extend from the base for a future approach graft attempt. All branches have secondary branching, some have tertiary branching and two have quaternary branching (new word for me). There's even a bunch of flower buds in the apex. Soil is approx. 60-70 % organic.

unnamed (96).jpg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you plan on using that leader as your next trunk and need the girth, you could stake it to prevent breakage due to wind. That’s what I did with my liquidambar. I used a 5/8” rod that Lowe’s sells for their prefabricated metal fences. It flexes a little with the wind which helps build girth below. But prevented the whip from braking.

1689955645130.png

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm a big fan of how muscular that thing looks. Reminds me of hornbeam!

Top Bottom