Big cypress

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I didn't NEED another bald cypress, but this one was too good to pass up. 12" plus at soil level and 6" right above the flair. Nice movement and decent taper and really nice buttressing. I'm shooting for a rather tall tree------probably about 50" when finished. That would put it in the 1/6 to 1/7 height/base ratio. Probably some kind of flat top apex.

unnamed - 2022-01-13T130130.337.jpgunnamed - 2022-01-13T130108.047.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That’s a killer trunk to start with! I hope to have one like that one day

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
There's a twin to this one about 15 feet away, but a couple inches smaller in diameter. I'll watch it for the next few years if I want a HUGE cypress down the line.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
that’s some hoss feet! need sure is an interesting concept.
although, you keep this pattern up may have to let parts of the lawn into wildflower rotation 😂. I know I would. Joe, you gotta have a good mower! whew, good on ya across the board

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looking at it now, if I could change anything, I would have wished for 5 smaller flutes across the front instead of 3 huge ones. No matter, I'll keep this one. :cool:

TN_Jim, funny you mentioned wildflower rotation. I just planted a 30'x40' section of the yard as a small wildflower meadow. I like a little wildness in parts of the yard instead of all manicured lawn.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Makes my back hurt just looking at the photo 😁 👍 Nice tree!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Makes my back hurt just looking at the photo 😁 👍 Nice tree!
The only bad part was cutting the 5" diameter tap root ........blind, by feel and 6" deep in mud. Everything else was a cake walk!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
When I'm envious of you guys on the West coast with your access to fantastic conifers and inexpensive pumice I just think about how fortunate I am. That cypress was a 7 minute ride and a 50 foot walk to collect. Drove there, collected the tree, drove back, potted up and cleaned up in a bit less than two hours. Ain't complaining.

Top Bottom