Big green maple stumps from the Growing Grounds

Aaronkslater

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
really? for what I see around here $400 seems fair for that type of material... at Bonsai West it would probably be $800 ... Are the prices in the northeast that out of wack?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
really? for what I see around here $400 seems fair for that type of material... at Bonsai West it would probably be $800 ... Are the prices in the northeast that out of wack?
The stock at the growing grounds is very rough and literally dug out of the ground and dropped in a pot. The roots need lots of work typically, and there are chop wounds that need work, too. Still, getting a 15 to 25 year old trunk for around $400 can be quite deal if the trunk is well made.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

The prices on his website are very high, but they are old. $400 for a large trunk with perhaps a start on some branching isn't really that high in my opinion.

Stuff in the northeast is very expensive. But even online across the country I don't see large trunks going for super cheap. If i lived close to the growing grounds I would def go there in person with cash in hand to see what kind of tree i could score.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The stock at the growing grounds is very rough and literally dug out of the ground and dropped in a pot. The roots need lots of work typically, and there are chop wounds that need work, too. Still, getting a 15 to 25 year old trunk for around $400 can be quite deal if the trunk is well made.

Some of the pruning scars I've seen from this grower are just unacceptable. I don't think he leaves a bit of branch left on the trunk to help the plant seal of the pruned area. Which would allow you to come back and whittle away at the pruned area, creating less of a scar. USE A SAW. These Japanese maples are way to "lumpy" and scarred up for a $400 or more price tag.

And yes, prices in the northeast are insane!!! Now that NEBG was bought recently, I'll expect the prices to increase inversely proportionate to the quality of the material.:(

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Some of the pruning scars I've seen from this grower are just unacceptable. I don't think he leaves a bit of branch left on the trunk to help the plant seal of the pruned area. Which would allow you to come back and whittle away at the pruned area, creating less of a scar. USE A SAW. These Japanese maples are way to "lumpy" and scarred up for a $400 or more price tag.

And yes, prices in the northeast are insane!!! Now that NEBG was bought recently, I'll expect the prices to increase inversely proportionate to the quality of the material.:(
I've been to the new website... and you are correct!!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been to the new website... and you are correct!!

I left for vacation the Friday before the open house so I was a little bummed. @John Romano was doing a Pine seminar that I really NEED to go to.
I did scope the new website......I was a little disappointed....and I fear the worst.:(

watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i have only bought a couple from marc - and while it is very raw stock - i dont think his prices are out of line at all. they could definitely stand to have the roots worked more before being dug up - but i think his prices reflect what you get.

i keep looking for places to buy cheap bonsai and i aint found one yet. and if anyone here knows of one, they seem to be keeping it a secret.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Dug through my old emails. Tree#1 $575, Tree#2 $585, Tree#3 $485. The shipping for each between $45 - $60.

If these are expensive for their sizes, you must have access to some cheap nurseries. I have not found any around New England. Bonsaiwest doesn't have raw materials like these. Maybe 5 years more refined, but their prices for a 2 or 3-foot tree with this kind of tapers and curves with a 3" to 4" trunk would probably be $2000 - $3000. Before I ordered from Marc this year, I went to Bonsaiwest to see what was avaible. I was eyeing this well branched Arakawa that was about 2 feet tall with an 1.5" trunk. It was $1200 I think. I also went to NE Bonsai on the same day, and didn't see anything I liked. That's when I emailed Marc.

Regular garden centers wouldn't have trees that have had multiple trunk chops. For the same price of $600, I would be able to get a cultivar with interesting characteristics, but it wouldn't be more than 2" thick and I would have to start with the first trunk chop. A common cultivar like Bloodgood with trunks this thick would probably be at least $1k. I saw Fireglow at Mahoney's in wooden boxes that were $750. Probably 5 feet tall and already look like small trees. I was tempted, but I couldn't shake the image of a $750 tree stump that would require several more years before it would look like anything that is meant to be a bonsai. Hehe

Top Bottom