Big Hawthorn

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Last winter I collected this big Hawthorn. It has a nebari is 25 cm and is just below the one meter border... Especially for a yamadori his flat nebari is excellent, in my opinion. Now it has sprouted all over and its doing well. I'm already thinking about the future of the tree. What are your thoughts?
1.jpg3.jpeg
IMG_2.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
1.jpg

First i would try carving a large wedgy, get the balance right and see how the tree looks from that. also i wouldnt cut the knob on the right flush, carving a feature there might help to offset some of the inverst taper in other areas. i think this would be a good option if you wanted to try to keep as much of what you have.
could play with some left n right angles too. nice nebari, but i think the tree comes out the soil a little straight in your bid to show all the base, could possible sacrifice some base for some more overall dynamism. might help to offset some taper issues too.

other options are to cut off one of the left or right apexes. maybe the right one. then tilting the tree right from the base. then try the other side.

or Leatherbacks shorter tree option. but i would do it all in stages

great material btw! i love the look of that rugged terrain too. i would be like a kid in a sweet shop!

Last edited:

Cioffi

Sapling
Reaction score
That is an amazing tree. I like Bobby's suggestion, although Leatherback's suggestion would certainly work for my newbie eye.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There are always a number of different bonsai hiding in every tree. Both @leatherback and @BobbyLane designs have merit. One is obviously taller than the other so now it depends on personal preference.
I would add some extra dead wood or shari to the right stump in either case just for better taper in the transition from lower trunk and a little more interest but again personal preference comes into the design.

Definitely one of the better hawthorns I have seen. A nice change from the usual vertical stumps.

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
The option LB gave, was also an option I had in my mind. I think I like it better than the option Bobby gave.. This because of the hight of the tree. I also have this is my mind. But no idea if this is possible in some way with a trunk of 10 cm of a deciduous tree. With conifers it should be possible, in combination with some carving at the inner part of the branche. Any of you have seen such operation?

Schermafbeelding 2021-06-19 om 21.55.34.png

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice ...them Hokadavhi are dope too!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Hawthorn wood is very hard. I doubt if you'll be able to move it, let along bend it permanently. I'd probably be looking at something along the lines of Leatherback's virtual, especially if the nebari allows you to tilt it very slightly to the right. I wouldn't cut the current deadwood stub flush - it could be turned into a good feature, along the lines of some of Will Baddely's work.
Good material.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It has such a weird shape, I can even begin to think of what would make sense with this tree.....
The base is really nice.
The top part is nice too
But they just dont work together.
Its almost like they are two different trees.

Do these air layer well?
That honestly is my first thought....air layer it and make 2 trees

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Today I did some very first shaping, just to get some movement into the branches. Now they have to grow very long and carry as much as possible leaves, to thicken as fact as possible, I'm afraid that this big fellow will need much space in the next years..IMG_3037.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

This technique is done on 200+ year old hawthorn hedges over here. Cut halfway (or more) through the trunk and bend it down. Might be a bit too late for you @Marco B but it might be interesting for others.
It seems that it can be quite extreme when it comes to how deep the cuts are.

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score

This technique is done on 200+ year old hawthorn hedges over here. Cut halfway (or more) through the trunk and bend it down. Might be a bit too late for you @Marco B but it might be interesting for others.
It seems that it can be quite extreme when it comes to how deep the cuts are.
That's an old technique used here in Holland. But, in my opinion, for bonsai it is not very usefull: the scars made are very big.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's an old technique used here in Holland. But, in my opinion, for bonsai it is not very usefull: the scars made are very big.
Absolutely, they're huge. But it could mean that smaller cuts, done over longer periods of time would probably not kill the plant. Even if there's extreme bending involved ;-)

Top Bottom