Big Jade Plant To Bonsai

Jaag

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I saw this at my local nursery for 25 bucks. Can I chop it down low where the red markings are for a think stem start?

Attachments

• 1A8B7EEB-905F-45D6-AAA6-72C3970AB733.jpeg
    1A8B7EEB-905F-45D6-AAA6-72C3970AB733.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 102

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That’s a really beefy jade...

You only see that on “Grandparent’s House plant stands” around here. 🤣

LOOKS like a good specimen.. but we can’t REALLY tell from the Photo provided.. gotta see more base... showcase that “bottom”

🤓

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah, you could do that, but a better option would be at yellow lines and recombobulate the herd completely to aim the trunks in a fashion that is more artistic. Right now they look like a bunch of drunks sprawled in a doorway. Separate them, and re-arrange them, then and only then chop them to suit the new configuration. Also, don't choose the pot before you figure out the new "look". Keep your options open. It's going to take a long time to grow in-scale sub-branches, so don't get carried away too early,jade.JPG

Last edited:

Jaag

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wasn’t able to get a great pic. Sorry about that. I appreciate the advice. Super newb here but I really like jades and want to try one. Any advice on best place to get wire for training?

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's an impressive jade succulent but not the portulacaria afra aka "dwarf jade" that is better suited for bonsai. I don't think these backbud reliably - you can't hard chop like with the dwarf jades.

It's still a great value for $25 .. repot, lightly trim, and you'll have a nice houseplant

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
LOOKS like a good specimen.. but we can’t REALLY tell from the Photo provided.. gotta see more base... showcase that “bottom”

Beeeeeeecause...it's all about that base, 'bout that base... :D

I really think you have to find (standard crassula ovata) jade specimens in this size or bigger to make a nice bonsai. They are few and far between, but I have seen them and they can be beautiful specimens done right. I agree with @Forsoothe! that if you leave yourself some movement/taper to work with then you will thank yourself later. Remember here in Utah we cannot get near the rapid growth in these as those in subtropical locations. I have a large plant that I still haven't worked up the nerve to start hacking into yet. But my research leads me to believe that these will backbud better than portulacarias if you leave them relatively alone post-chop for weeks or months, and barely water them at all during that time.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They do not grow fast enough in short summers of the north to grow tapered branches in under a life time. Backbudding and actually growing taper are two different animals. This is a forest from 2 large pots of groups of individuals maybe 25/30 years old as houseplants in the north...
Jd1 2020_0628 N Edit.JPG
All the branches existed originally, and just the leaves regrown a couple times to make canopies. Assume the worst and do not chop too low.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Go for it -- that pot-full will thank you for a new lease on life!

@Forsoothe! that's a beautiful forest. I love the space in the center, that depth really defines it as a grove of trees. Serious inspiration!

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They do not grow fast enough in short summers of the north to grow tapered branches in under a life time. Backbudding and actually growing taper are two different animals. This is a forest from 2 large pots of groups of individuals maybe 25/30 years old as houseplants in the north...
View attachment 382915
All the branches existed originally, and just the leaves regrown a couple times to make canopies. Assume the worst and do not chop too low.
Sexy pot

Jaag

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey everyone, thank you for the replies. Keep them coming because I learn so much from you all.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, I have a big guy I just started working on this year. Probably 24 inches tall and leggy, just like those. Trunk chops are fine but you might lose the section below due to die off so be aware, you might lose an inch or 2 more than expected. Cuttings are good to grow too. I am cutting mine back in a few sections to encourage back budding rather than pruning really hard. (Well, I already pruned it really hard and I don't want to do more)
It is best to wire when the plant is relatively dry. If it is recently watered, the branches are stiffer and more likely to break. - I haven't wired mine yet but I saw this and thought it was good advice.
A really good way to encourage back budding is to remove just the new buds on the tips of the leggy growth. This doesn't take a lot of material away from the plant and you get a lot of new growth lower in the branch.
Ps- no cut paste required.

Top Bottom