Big juniper is waiting for transplant!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice tree, glad to see it's in your care. All that work in repotting seems to be paying off with the tree thanking you.
Thanks Mcpesq817. It is my technique to deal with severely root bounded bonsai and I think it works well :)
p/s: I am still waiting for the flowering quince's bloom, so I can send you the appropriated branches.
Bonhe

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
deal with severely root bounded bonsai and I think it works well :)
The segmented approach works well. And i like your decision to stage the next work session later. Here is my juniper waiting for a transplant. I use the same process, in this type of situation, however it is smaller and the lift not required. It is a Sierra juniper that i acquired from my teacher. Growth was slow last year and the drainage slowing down as well. Time for a repot to encourage new growth. I believe it was last repotted over five years ago. Tree was collected in 2006. Heavy Bending performed in 2009, repotted 2012. Kishu grafts started 2017. The reason i am waiting is we received a foot of snow the other day. What is another week or two in the journey;)
I will use a less Akadama in my mix. We are not as hot or dry throughout the year as your location.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 35

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
deal with severely root bounded bonsai and I think it works well :)
The segmented approach works well. And i like your decision to stage the next work session later. Here is my juniper waiting for a transplant. I use the same process, in this type of situation, however it is smaller and the lift not required. It is a Sierra juniper that i acquired from my teacher. Growth was slow last year and the drainage slowing down as well. Time for a repot to encourage new growth. I believe it was last repotted over five years ago. Tree was collected in 2006. Heavy Bending performed in 2009, repotted 2012. Kishu grafts started 2017. The reason i am waiting is we received a foot of snow the other day. What is another week or two in the journey;)
I will use a less Akadama in my mix. We are not as hot or dry throughout the year as your location.
Thanks for sharing information. You have very nice tree there. Good luck to you.
Bonhe

Top Bottom