Big Oak Tree Progression 1864 to Present

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Which tree are you looking at? The one on the left doesn't look old enough.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny, I've been to the locations in at least half of those photos. Have relatives in Fredericksburg and I drive by the Slave Auction building in Old Town Alexandria all the time. I'm having Thanksgiving dinner at Kenmore, across the river from Brompton...My son was baptized in the Fredericksburg church that still has a Union cannonball in the front outside wall. Interesting to see what "was" with some of those places.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Funny, I've been to the locations in at least half of those photos. Have relatives in Fredericksburg and I drive by the Slave Auction building in Old Town Alexandria all the time. I'm having Thanksgiving dinner at Kenmore, across the river from Brompton...My son was baptized in the Fredericksburg church that still has a Union cannonball in the front outside wall. Interesting to see what "was" with some of those places.
You can't go through that part of the country without tripping over significent history. Let's try to remember it and hope not to lose it regardless of what side of the struggle our families came down on. I had family that fought on both sides. Sad: Brother against brother.

Another interesting and somewhat out of the way, is Andersonville, town and prisoner of war site. Make sure you eat in the little cafe right there in the town of Andersonville. Great food and really nice people----the cook and owner is packing, just incase that might offend you.

There is a little museum there full of authentic civil war stuff you wont see anywhere else and I have seen a lot of civil war museums.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I come back to the images of this oak to get an idea how a tree can grow as it ages. I find it interesting how a branch starts out upright, yet relatively thick, but over time it hangs down off the trunk from being weak and overwhelmed by it's own weight. One other branch grew very thick and remained upright is obviously very strong. From the pictures, it looks like it thickened a lot from it's underside; not sure if it's because of a perspective thing. In the older photo the branch looks much higher up the trunk.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Grew a lot this tree did. In hallowed ground it grows.;)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
For those of you living in the South you should go and see the Angle Oak if you have not done so.DSC_0578.JPGDSC_0547.JPGDSC_0550.JPGDSC_0556.JPGDSC_0552.JPG

This tree is really difficult to photograph, you can't get far enough away from it to get it all in the photo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom