Big ol seeds baby

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I found some very large bald cypress and I want to collect seeds for fun this year. I have been trying to find the best time in this area to collect. I haven’t found anything really concrete on how the seed should look. I took one pod to show what they look like, I think they are still too early but maybe I am wrong? Let me know what you think

Attachments

• 94CD6871-3855-4412-902A-47E4F23CDCAC.jpeg
    94CD6871-3855-4412-902A-47E4F23CDCAC.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 15

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The pod should be open, if it's still green then the seeds are still in development somewhere on the inside.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I found some very large bald cypress and I want to collect seeds for fun this year. I have been trying to find the best time in this area to collect. I haven’t found anything really concrete on how the seed should look. I took one pod to show what they look like, I think they are still too early but maybe I am wrong? Let me know what you think
What you have in your hand is an entire green cone. They need to turn brown to mature. Then they will open up or you can crush the cones open with gloved hands. There is no need for stratification.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What you have in your hand is an entire green cone. They need to turn brown to mature. Then they will open up or you can crush the cones open with gloved hands. There is no need for stratification.

So crack them and plant them this fall? Leave them out in soil?

Top Bottom