Big ole nasty rose bush

MrDeeds970

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpg I worked this small jem out of a nasty bed of overgrown rose stems at our new house we just purchased. A sawzall and a long spade and three days of work and I finally made it down to the tap root. Any advice out there for a rose yamadori rose stump?

MrDeeds970

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh I just collected another single trunk of the same caliper. Holy rose trunk batman!! This is the best find ever!! Any advice for me?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man, I'll tell ya.

I collected some stuff a couple falls ago, and my buddy was letting me prep them in his yard. I grabbed him a rose stump for his troubles.

No roots, few leaves, If any , planted In fall and by the end of the next summer it was 4 ft high!

Enjoy!

Sorce

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The bark doesn't look like a rose to me, And I with Brian those ridged leaves look elm'ish or something. What ever it is pot it up, let it leaf out then we can get a better ID

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely NOT a rose.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
I just did a huge one last year, about 100 years old. They are easy, get approx. 5 inches of the tap root and dust it with root hormone. You will be just fine.

Attachments

• 20140820_173306.jpg
    20140820_173306.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 102

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't see those leaves.

Or the second dog!

Elm I reckon!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
After this one gets taken out and containerized please post a picture with a quiet background like a smooth wall, bed sheet, anything. Would like to take a shot at an ID on that one ;)

Grimmy

MrDeeds970

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh its already dug out of the ground, I just set it there next to the patio with the dogs for reference. I will pot it this weekend along with the other one and post a picture of them. Excited to see what they are. They were completely surrounded in 4' tall pricky nasty roses that we are working on removing.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Most trees aren't likely to survive being dug out and set out on the patio unpotted for a few days.

MrDeeds970

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brian, that's a pretty easy one, I got that part:) I set them back down into the hole I dug them out of and lightly placed back the soil around them. I'm in the process of moving. Unfortunately didn't have tons of time to deal with them last weekend. I will post pics on Sunday

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's an elm. For sure. Probably American.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree it looks more like some sort of Zelkova, or maybe a Hornbeam.

ed

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had a Jack Russell ,Dachsund mix from puppy till 15 years old. He was every bit as smart and just as brave as German Shepherds I have owned.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had a Jack Russell ,Dachsund mix from puppy till 15 years old. He was every bit as smart and just as brave as German Shepherds I have owned.

Did you have to slip a bag over its head so the neighbors did not get nauseous ? :p

ed

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No neighbors. No worries. My nearest neighbor at the time was a 10th of a mile away.
And he wasn't ugly. Kind of cute till the real dog showed itself. Then he was kind of scary and colic Al at the same time.

Attachments

• 11-21-09_2249.jpg
    11-21-09_2249.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 58
Top Bottom