Big purchase of 2017

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
It has been a quiet year for me but I will play along. As far as trees go, I haven't acquired much but I am excited to work with a boxwood that I collected this year.

On the other hand, we bought a house so that's been a pretty nice acquisition after living in a shed for a year.

Congrats!!!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
IMG_1997.JPG IMG_2008.JPG This year I really tried to focus on acquiring material that will help me learn to take my game to the next level. I collected and purchased a number of trees that I'm very excited about working with, but these two are the best of the bunch in my opinion. The first is a mugo pine and the second a lodgepole. They should be ready for repotting in the spring and wiring next fall if all goes well.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 169997 View attachment 169998 This year I really tried to focus on acquiring material that will help me learn to take my game to the next level. I collected and purchased a number of trees that I'm very excited about working with, but these two are the best of the bunch in my opinion. The first is a mugo pine and the second a lodgepole. They should be ready for repotting in the spring and wiring next fall if all goes well.

Nice trees, great antique pot;).

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ginkgo! The weirdos of trees :p. Or is it deciduous broad leaf conifer?

The other day I just happened to type "bonsai" on craigslist just for the hell of it. And came across an ad of a guy wanting to thin out his collection to make room for more o_O?! Among other trees, he has this Ginkgo. Looks pretty nice in the pics and allegedly was once owned and developed by Chase Rosade (owner of Rosade Bonsai Studio) for 30 years. Anyways, the fact that I've been wanting a Ginkgo since I started this bonsai thing 2 seasons ago, I need to have this!

Made an appointment to pick it up yesterday and he has quite a collection of pre-bonsai and newly collected materials. Some are for sale, others not in a million years. I will have to make another visit come spring, hint hint @CWTurner :).

Here are some photos when it got home :). It stand about 12" from soil to trunk chop. Nebari 4", but add that front rootage stretch makes it 6". Trunk at first branch 3". I'm liking the structure and probably steering away from the flame style.
View attachment 169537 View attachment 169538 View attachment 169539 View attachment 169540

Is the reason this branch was cut because it might create a big bulge/inverse taper in the future? You can see it in the first pic under the first branch. And two buds ready to pop comes next year. Should I rub them off.
View attachment 169541

This is from his ad over a month ago so I missed the show. Can't wait till next fall!
View attachment 169542

Now, forget about this. What is your most significant acquisition, purchase or collected, for 2017? Photo(s) along with a brief detail would be nice!
Congrats on the ginkgo! I have heard ones style these into a fan shape as well. Which may be where it's at currently. Ginkgo are a fun tree to have on the bench.

Congrats to all...enjoyed the trees ones chose to share.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Congrats on the ginkgo! I have heard ones style these into a fan shape as well. Which may be where it's at currently. Ginkgo are a fun tree to have on the bench.

Congrats to all...enjoyed the trees ones chose to share.
Thanks @Cadillactaste! I've been admiring your Ginkgo from afar since your post on it. Your ChiChi has noticeably smaller leaves too. That doesn't sound right but hey!

Congrats of the new home @sikadelic. I need to look for a home with a bit bigger yard :/

The guy i bought the Ginkgo from had a bunch of collected stuff and he has this HUGE barberry. Great barks on that too. Should have taken some pics but was too excited with all his other craps I couldn't think right.

Next time.... that one might be mine!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey @JudyB , I did get one tree this year, a little crabby!!:cool: Not quite the level of material you've been acquiring, but I think it will be a fun little project!:rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Wiring a little wonky from the nursery, and pruned a little early by my schedule so the growth this year was a little haphazard.

View attachment 169816

View attachment 169817

View attachment 169818

Used to have cash on hand for bigger purchases.....until......

View attachment 169815

The Boots? What can I say, Daddy like him some Rick James and George Clinton!!!!:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hey @M. Frary ya' think these boot's are fly enough for Uncle Kevin?;):rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I like your crab, that's along the lines of what I'm actually looking for.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My big 2017 purchase was from Mehaan's Miniatures, this Chinese Elm.
I don't know what variety this Chinese Elm is, it is not the common Lace Bark.
It is also not a Cork Bark.
It is something else, maybe random seed variety .....?
They had a dozen or more similar trees.
IMAG3866.jpg IMAG3868.jpg IMAG3870.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 169997 View attachment 169998 This year I really tried to focus on acquiring material that will help me learn to take my game to the next level. I collected and purchased a number of trees that I'm very excited about working with, but these two are the best of the bunch in my opinion. The first is a mugo pine and the second a lodgepole. They should be ready for repotting in the spring and wiring next fall if all goes well.
Is that an old approach graft in the middle of the lodgepole? If so very cleverley done. Also seems very nice needle reduction for a lodgepole pine.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Significant in that it is my first elm and acquired in january this year. Hokkaido Elm Growth was pretty good despite the transition from california to vancouver island in january. First is fall just before leaves drop. Second after defoliation and light trim. I wish to grow out some secondary and tertiary branches for thickness. Somewhat of a focus on overall health this year after the transition last year. Wanted to leave the tree stronger for the more pronounced dormancy. Will do some further thinning later.

Attachments

• IMG_9148.JPG
    IMG_9148.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9152.JPG
    IMG_9152.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 62

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Is that an old approach graft in the middle of the lodgepole? If so very cleverley done. Also seems very nice needle reduction for a lodgepole pine.
So far as I know nothing has been grafted, but it certainly is a possibility. As far as needle size goes, it's previous owner said that this tree just has naturally short needles for a lodgepole. I think it will be a great tree to work with.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Significant in that it is my first elm and acquired in january this year. Hokkaido Elm Growth was pretty good despite the transition from california to vancouver island in january. First is fall just before leaves drop. Second after defoliation and light trim. I wish to grow out some secondary and tertiary branches for thickness. Somewhat of a focus on overall health this year after the transition last year. Wanted to leave the tree stronger for the more pronounced dormancy. Will do some further thinning later.
Them Haikaido have some of the smallest leaves makes for a very convincing small tree! Great pick up man.

My local nursery has one in the garden area that I need to convince to sell to me. Hopefully cheap :D

@just.wing.it the bark on the Meehan elm is really nice! Is it soft or hard bark?

Top Bottom