Big Quince

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This quince was probably about 12 - 15 feet when I found it. The gentleman who allowed me to dig it had it stuck in a grow box for about 15 years. When I got to it, the grow box was destroyed and the quince had massively twisted roots encased in the wooden remnants as it escaped into the ground. I took off a great deal of thick roots on this tree. Lucky, there were many fine roots still in the grow box full of turface and peat. I hadn't expected to take two trees. I'm very thankful for the opportunity. I've much work to do.

Here are some pictures. Because it was early, the light was dappled through the trees but I'll get some proper shots with better lighting soon enough.

As you can see, there are some challenges. For one, there is a trunk with great movement coming up that has fused with a bone straight branch. Would it make sense to carve out that straight piece and leave the curve? I'm content to leave this alone for a year as it recovers from collection. Having never planned to work with a quince, especially one this size, I've a lot of studying to do. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

B

Attachments

• IMG_6647.jpg
    IMG_6647.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6638.jpg
    IMG_6638.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_6645.jpg
    IMG_6645.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_6646.jpg
    IMG_6646.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6642.jpg
    IMG_6642.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 143

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Really awesome find. Congrats!

I know you like bigger but hear me out. IF the roots you got cannot support the tree, you either get dieback or lose the tree. You know better so you decide. I just hate for you to lose this nice tree.

Good luck! :)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Bernard, this is fantastic material. Better than the pine actually. Let it grow and recover this year without any more activity that will disturb the recovering roots. Multi-trunk Chinese quinces are about my favorite, so I'll be watching this with some interest.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really awesome find. Congrats!

I know you like bigger but hear me out. IF the roots you got cannot support the tree, you either get dieback or lose the tree. You know better so you decide. I just hate for you to lose this nice tree.

Good luck! :)

Thanks Dario. I didn't get great pictures due to the rain and my hands being full but there was actually a good deal of fine feeder roots on this one. I could be mistaken, but the guy who let me dig it seemed to think quince have an excellent ability to regenerate roots. Can you attest to that statement? I do like em big.. mostly. How much further would you go?

Bernard, this is fantastic material. Better than the pine actually. Let it grow and recover this year without any more activity that will disturb the recovering roots. Multi-trunk Chinese quinces are about my favorite, so I'll be watching this with some interest.

Ah man, the pressure is on! Does the size bother you also? Maybe it should get cut further back? I took off so much of the tree I wanted to leave something with which to stimulate root growth. I'm happy to keep my hands (and kids) away from this tree for the duration.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you got nice fine roots...then no problem. :) Your preference rules...it just get trumped by trees survival when needed. ;)

I would actually keep it as big as possible...so I can airlayer some later!!! LOL :p

As for the quince regeneration ability, I have no idea. I have but a small one I am nursing since when I got it...it have maybe 3 healthy roots (I literally mean 3 & only few inches long). If that is any indication and as to how it is growing now...it sounds like he may be right.

I agree with Brian...that is much better than the pine. If that wasn't obvious by my initial comment to your other thread.

Last edited:

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
being the quince affectionado that I am, I was curious what media you used to transplant it into? I have a few chinese, including this one that is full of buds for blooms this year.....good luck with your project and thanks for sharing. Looking forward to following your progress.

Attachments

• IMG_3176.jpg
    IMG_3176.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 80

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
being the quince affectionado that I am, I was curious what media you used to transplant it into? I have a few chinese, including this one that is full of buds for blooms this year.....good luck with your project and thanks for sharing. Looking forward to following your progress.

This unfortunately is a question I feel ashamed to answer. I greatly underestimated how much soil I would need to pot the pine up. So the quince went into a hodgepodge mixture of what I had leftover. Pumice, lava, turface, grit, pine bark. Hopefully that'll suffice?

If you have any information that will lend itself to the survival and thriving of this tree, I'd be grateful to receive it with an open mind.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you got nice fine roots...then no problem. :) Your preference rules...it just get trumped by trees survival when needed. ;)

I would actually keep it as big as possible...so I can airlayer some later!!! LOL :p

As for the quince regeneration ability, I have no idea. I have but a small one I am nursing since when I got it...it have maybe 3 healthy roots (I literally mean 3 & only few inches long). If that is any indication and as to how it is growing now...it sounds like he may be right.

I agree with Brian...that is much better than the pine. If that wasn't obvious by my initial comment to your other thread.

Well if'n it's the better score, it's my new favorite piece of material :)

The guy who gave this to me also mentioned that he's had great success with quince as cuttings. I had a BUNCH of left over pieces from this stump but it was futile to try them all as cuttings... I was so tired it was all I could do but collapse on the couch and regenerate!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The guy who gave this to me also mentioned that he's had great success with quince as cuttings. I had a BUNCH of left over pieces from this stump but it was futile to try them all as cuttings...

Those are worth saving at that size...even just sticking them in the ground if you have no other choice. Who knows, even one survivor is better than nothing. ;)

If you are super tired and still have them...cut them in 8" or so lengths and put them in water for now. I'll buy one from you later. ;)

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Those are worth saving at that size...even just sticking them in the ground if you have no other choice. Who knows, even one survivor is better than nothing. ;)

If you are super tired and still have them...cut them in 8" or so lengths and put them in water for now. I'll buy one from you later. ;)

I put 4 in the ground at about 1" diameter. Ones that had decent movement. I also tried a root cutting because.. you know why not? I'll definitely let you know if they work out. As a relatively young man, I miss being relatively younger!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This unfortunately is a question I feel ashamed to answer. I greatly underestimated how much soil I would need to pot the pine up. So the quince went into a hodgepodge mixture of what I had leftover. Pumice, lava, turface, grit, pine bark. Hopefully that'll suffice?

If you have any information that will lend itself to the survival and thriving of this tree, I'd be grateful to receive it with an open mind.

Been there, done that...as long as it's free draining, I think you will be fine. As Brian said, this is an awesome score...that trunk with the bark is exquisite.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I put 4 in the ground at about 1" diameter. Ones that had decent movement. I also tried a root cutting because.. you know why not? I'll definitely let you know if they work out. As a relatively young man, I miss being relatively younger!
That's what I am talking about!

The solution to your aches is doing it more frequently, like every other day. LOL :p

You will be amazed how your body adjusts and it will be just routine. Hey you of all people should know this! ;)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ah man, the pressure is on! Does the size bother you also? Maybe it should get cut further back? I took off so much of the tree I wanted to leave something with which to stimulate root growth. I'm happy to keep my hands (and kids) away from this tree for the duration.

Nah...no pressure, just excited to see another C. Quince out there. And no, the size doesn't bother me at all. I'd leave it just as it is, so the roots aren't jarred again this year, and let the tree show you what it's going to do. You can always reduce it next year, at nearly no cost to the development of the tree.

Read this, with particular attention to the paragraph entitled "how to make the cuts": http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/trunks.htm

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
One thing I would like to have you do, is run to a box store and purchase a bag of spagnum moss. I like to find the kind sold to orchid fanciers. Cost is just under $5.00. Soak it in a bucket of water, after about 5 minutes hand squeeze out the water in it so PARTIALLY dry
and spread it over the surface of your soil material. I like a thickness of about half an inch.

When you water your quince, it will spread the water around and not ruffle the soil and when it looks dry (the moss) it may be time to water again. Something in this moss seems to help encourage those fine hair roots that we want to grow and be happy......:)

I think your catch all soil idea will work just fine. :)

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One thing I would like to have you do, is run to a box store and purchase a bag of spagnum moss. I like to find the kind sold to orchid fanciers. Cost is just under $5.00. Soak it in a bucket of water, after about 5 minutes hand squeeze out the water in it so PARTIALLY dry
and spread it over the surface of your soil material. I like a thickness of about half an inch.

When you water your quince, it will spread the water around and not ruffle the soil and when it looks dry (the moss) it may be time to water again. Something in this moss seems to help encourage those fine hair roots that we want to grow and be happy......:)

I have a big bag in the garage right now and will apply that layer this evening after work. Thanks for the heads up!

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's what I am talking about!

The solution to your aches is doing it more frequently, like every other day. LOL :p

You will be amazed how your body adjusts and it will be just routine. Hey you of all people should know this! ;)

LOL! If I had that much time to dig trees every other day I'd need a new back yard... which would be tough to buy since I'd be unable to keep working! When I was a teen I was an "apprentice" to a popular landscaper out here. That meant I hauled shrubs/trees and dug holes for 8 - 10 hours a day in the summer sun. While the work was rewarding, I'm not sure I ever really adjusted. Rather I just stopped complaining about it.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
The japanese have what they call "yama-Goke"...Yama meaning mountain and go-kay meaning moss they use for the same purpose. It's a different member of the moss family but provides
excellent assistance to the effort to do everything possible in making the transistion.

Nice to have what you need on hand. I just put two bags back into my supply last night...

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
jiminy cricket that's one big-ass quince. best of luck with it. the sphagnum moss is a great idea. I used some the other day on a transplant.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

That thickness is critical. Apply thicker and it can act as a shield/roof and channel all the water outside. VERY bad.

Top Bottom