Big RoR Questions

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was looking at these inspirational RoR pictures from the Peter Tea Blog. I began to wonder...how do they get these big rocks to stay in these shallow pots?

Attachments

• IMG_3679.JPG
    IMG_3679.JPG
    509.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3730.JPG
    IMG_3730.JPG
    328.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3731.JPG
    IMG_3731.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 55

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I had a long rhomboid quartz rock I wanted to plant a parthenocissus on, but the ends of the rock were too pointed to make it stand vertically or even at a sloping angle. Laying it on its side would have been boring. I bought an epoxy putty product similar to this one (https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-1999131-Purpose-Repair-Ounces/dp/B000BOB8P6)

I made a flat disc of the putty wider than the rock's pointed end but not so wide it wouldn't fit into a suitable container. I press the pointed end of the rock into the putty and waited till the epoxy cured. After that the rock+putty disc combo could stand on its own and I wrapped the parthenocissus roots around the rock. The end of the roots were forced to flare outward because of the epoxy disc. The whole setup is buried to the tip right now, but eventually I plan to expose it so that only the flare of roots and the epoxy disc are under the soil level. I predict that the flat disc and the flaring roots will give enough stability for the whole setup to remain upright, but I would probably need to wire it in place anyway. I suspect that the rocks in your pictures are all wired down below the soil level. They probably use some sort of cement, like mine, or in the link above. The thick root pad probably provides additional stability.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would imagine gravity is all that is really needed. Despite being visually off balance I'm sure that they are actually quite stable. You have to remember that the weight of the rock is much greater than that of the tree. Even when the tree is hanging off the edge of the rock it is still not throwing it off balance.

It is also likely that the base of the rock has been cut flat to ensure that it is stable.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like this one.

Sorce

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For this composition i attached wire to the rock using epoxy. Then took the wire though holes in the tray. Tightened the wires around a straight piece of thicker wire across the hole from the underside. That allows me to secure the rock but remove when repotting. In this case the roots go through the inside of the Lava and spread out under and into the tray. The rock has raised portions so the roots and soil can be under and around the rock. Technically a root through rock rather than root over rock. But the trick of securing wire to the rock and through the bottom applies.IMG_0668.JPG

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They’re usually wired into the pot somehow. Key word being “somehow” ?.

Top Bottom