Big Storm - Be Safe

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
To all my fellow Bnut'ers in the Northeast. Hope you and your trees are ready for the big snow storm. We are expecting over 3' with blizzard winds gusting up to 55-60 mph here in the lower Hudson Valley. Be smart, be safe...take care.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll be glad when the snow covers my trees with it's blanket of safety. I'm debating even taking one or two out of the garage just to let the snow cover and insulate them for the next week.

But be safe folks. the roads will be insane.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'll be glad when the snow covers my trees with it's blanket of safety. I'm debating even taking one or two out of the garage just to let the snow cover and insulate them for the next week.

But be safe folks. the roads will be insane.

Snow is a great insulator, but 2-3 ft of heavy, wet snow can tear the branches off of your trees as it settles/melts/refreezes over several weeks...I wouldn't put a tree with descent branch development out before this storm if it can be helped. If the trees are in an out building, covering the pot and soil with new fallen snow is what I'd do. Good luck

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Working from home today and tomorrow. Extremely dangerous out there and getting worse! Have to go out and prop up a branch of a large un-styled RMJ I have. Should do that soon before it all hits!

Be safe everyone!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Snow is a great insulator, but 2-3 ft of heavy, wet snow can tear the branches off of your trees as it settles/melts/refreezes over several weeks...I wouldn't put a tree with descent branch development out before this storm if it can be helped. If the trees are in an out building, covering the pot and soil with new fallen snow is what I'd do. Good luck

Very true Dave. Good thing my trees have no ramification! all kidding aside I had a Juni lose a branch this way last year. Thin branch foliage pad at the tip and it was game over.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fwiw, I actually MISS storms like this since I moved to GA. I grew up with Nor'easters and eagerly anticipated them each winter...storms lasting for 36 to 48 hours w/ hurricane force winds and snow rates of 2-4 inches per hour coming at you sideways! The power of these storms is truly awesome. Going outside in the middle of them and hearing nothing but the wind whistling through the trees and the snow hitting my body. What I DON'T miss is shoveling 8" of snow every 8 hours for 2 days straight, THEN digging out the 8' snow pile the plows deposited at the driveway's end...yuck!!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep, its gona be a horror show. Not looking forward to shoveling snow every few hours tonight/tomorrow.

But there are positives too.

I wont be able to get to work tomorrow.
Ill have PLENTY of snow to put snow balls on my trees in the garage. :p

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Yep, its gona be a horror show. Not looking forward to shoveling snow every few hours tonight/tomorrow.

But there are positives too.

I wont be able to get to work tomorrow.
Ill have PLENTY of snow to put snow balls on my trees in the garage. :p

Yeah, I pile on some snow on the trees in my garage as well.
Good day to kick back with a glass of wine (well maybe more than one) and catch up on reading blogs, journals and old bonsai threads and plan out all I want to do as spring gets closer.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, I pile on some snow on the trees in my garage as well.
Good day to kick back with a glass of wine (well maybe more than one) and catch up on reading blogs, journals and old bonsai threads and plan out all I want to do as spring gets closer.

I'm thinking a good scotch by the fire in the fireplace tonight would work for me:cool:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Y'all should come to Vegas. We are going to be mid 70's this week. If you ever want to take a trip here, from January to late April is darn near perfect.

Top Bottom