Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure where to take this. I dont know if the standard rules will do here

yew2.jpgyew3.jpgyew4.jpgyew5.jpgyew1.jpg

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Messed with it a bit. Somewhat decided to focus on the right trunk cluster going forward

Attachments

• taxusnew.jpg
    taxusnew.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 108

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont know what I can do about the underground half. All the 6cm diameter roots (and yew wood is hard) right next to each other with extremely compacted clay in between. No idea how to reduce that

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
you dont need to be an expert carver to take this forward. it helps but not essential, theres enough there to learn the basics on without destroying the tree.
but you can start by removing ones you dont like or dont quite fit, or have zero character. make uro from the removed stubs or jin them.
Graham potter has tons of yew videos i can already see one of his trees in this material.
creating uro n jin is fairly straight forward once you see how its done and copy what they did.

Last edited:

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you dont need to be an expert carver to take this forward. it helps but not essential, theres enough there to learn the basics on without destroying the tree.
but you can start by removing ones you dont like or dont quite fit, or have zero character. make uro from the removed stubs or jin them.
Graham potter has tons of yew videos i can already see one of his trees in this material.
creating uro n jin is fairly straight forward once you see how its done and copy what they did.
the underground half.
Bobby, my problem are the roots, for the most part. Removing single roots is virtually impossible with normal tools. They block access to each other. And the bits of clay and possible stones in between make me not want to use a chainsaw.
I am thinking some huge biting instrument that can bite chunks out of it, like a root cutter or concave cutter but with 1m or so arms and more sturdy

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
while its in the pot, large loppers. when its out the pot and strong enough to take underground work, clean off all the muck and use a reciprocating saw with various size blades and loppers.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Great material you have there!
Good work taking it out plus the extra care for it to survive!!

I think this primary wiring / styling was a little bit too early as I personally would have corrected only the structural flaws and waited but the wiring you just did will guide the first and secondary scafolding, good job.
Can't wait to see future wood work on this big guy!

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
idk, seems off somehow. Wish he would have finished work on it

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
There was a guy on FB/IG Marco,
he posted this epic Yew, 3 years from collection, but its the powerful jins that reminded me about your tree, yours might benefit from some work like this.
really impressive jin work, cant stop looking at this tree

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1662157291931.jpg
    FB_IMG_1662157291931.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 103
  • FB_IMG_1662157301347.jpg
    FB_IMG_1662157301347.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 100

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still waiting on the Kaizen tools, especially extra large root cutter. Its producing new shoots now

DavidBoren

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Awesome tree.

I like what you have done thusfar. I think I would get it in good substrate [in the same pot], and leave it alone for about a year [other than eventually removing the wiring]... probably do the lime-sulfur thing to any deadwood you want to keep.

When it has better radial roots, you can think about cutting away those huge roots you are worried about... cut them off even, and screw it to a board. Put it back in good substrate for another year or five. Get it as healthy as possible, rather than focusing on any form.

This beast should be carved, and it needs to be healthy to carve it.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@BobbyLane Have you seen this tree at the start here (not the thumbnail)? Awesome trunk. Similar style to Graham Potter. I prefer this to Harry Harringtons

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@BobbyLane Have you seen this tree at the start here (not the thumbnail)? Awesome trunk. Similar style to Graham Potter. I prefer this to Harry Harringtons
Cool! I only posted the Harry one because of the carving really and it was more recent, but I guess you can see more in Potters videos where he goes more in depth. I like Tony's yews, he doesnt work on much stumps though.
Here's a bit of Yew inspiration

also, have you thought about how you'll style this one going forwards? are you more going for the original 'conifer' look with all the branches going horizontal all the way to the crown, or maybe, just my suggestion, I think ascending branching would suit the tree. many yews in nature actually are 'broomy' they have many low branches that sag and also a lot of upward and out branches as you go higher up the tree. thats what im doing with one I have, ascending branches as you go up. I think it would suit the roundish shape yours already has and it will also appear more natural. sometimes when you bend really thick branches downwards it doesnt look completely natural to me, Yews in nature while having saggy branches they also have large subtrunks that rise, then you want the more flexible ones coming off to do the bend downwards, rather than making thick branches curve if you know what i mean. guide wire on thick bits may give you a more natural curve tho, on thick bits. straight sections of branch on yew can be hidden with foliage also.
But you started well, just making suggestions going forward

Looking up! by Hitman, on Flickr

Ormiston Yew Tree by Raycce, on Flickr

Taxus baccata - Yew tree in Pyrford Churchyard by Ashley Wood, on Flickr

ancient yew Taxus baccata by Eloy Revilla, on Flickr

you can see in some of these where heavy branches rise upwards and taper off and the thinner branches then dip. but on bonsai, everyone does the bend from the base, if you see what i mean.

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
some yew trees do have heavy branches bending from the base, but its about working out which of your branches look better doing it this way or that way.

I did this one with some ascending branching higher in the tree
2018-10-03_09-03-44.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom