Big thuja with nice base

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A

Thanks Elroy - what a fascinating read that was. I have Larson's book, but have not read this article. I feel very fortunate to live not a 30 minute drive from some of these ancient cliff forests. It makes for an inspiring weekend hike.

For anyone interested, this is the book about ancient thuja cliff forests I am referring to.

Pinenut

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Is anyone familiar with a Sekka-Hinoki and how to take care of it. I have found zero information on caring for this cultivar of Hinoki Cypress.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Is anyone familiar with a Sekka-Hinoki and how to take care of it. I have found zero information on caring for this cultivar of Hinoki Cypress.

No, but they are very cool. As far as I know they are a relatively new variety and even in Japan large ones are rare. Based on the foliage, I would guess pruning is more like pruning a juniper and less like a hinoki. But I have no idea what I am talking about.

There is a Bonsai Art of Japan episode in which they style a gorgeous formal upright sekka.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Vf6Qh38MaXE

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I potted this tree into a smaller and more sturdy box today. It is a one person tree now!

The goal was just to make the tree more manageable, and to wash lots of the muck away from the inner rootball before it became too anaerobic.

I am very happy with the health of the root system considering it has only had one growing season since collecting!

jn0hZ.jpg

i2Fi2.jpg

extdM.jpg

HNvdN.jpg

h8xdi.jpg

CLVLk.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

This article you linked to was fantastic. It was well written and interesting. The observations they made seemed sound, although it a subject that I thought everyone already understood. I know it was proven in scientific manner, the core samples to date the trees was eye opening, proving small trees with an age of 400 years. I see trees hanging off cliffs all through this country, some I have passed nearly every day for over 34 years and they have never grown noticabely larger, although they changed shape in some cases. I loved where he mentioned that Bonsai people know that contained root systems retards growth of the trees. I seen where he also mentioned that in Japan they have " destroyed " most of their nations " ancient small trees " due to harvesting for Bonsai. I wonder when the stop the Bonsai movement will begin...

ed

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Ahhhh, what a relief. It is amazing how roots grow on Thuja, sometimes from almost nothing. They can be killed in a pot though. I am still sorting out what happened last year but I suspect evil herbicide drift from the overzealous greenhorn farmer with a field across the road. I think he was madly spraying Round Up to control perimeter weeds and the drift cloud did in some ancient long established pines and thujas on my benches.
My problem with thujas have been not working them and letting them sit in big boxes, slow down, get root bound and just sit there. Well this year I repotted everyone and am on a mission of rejuvenation and refinement. Your posts give me hope!

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Ahhhh, what a relief. It is amazing how roots grow on Thuja, sometimes from almost nothing. They can be killed in a pot though. I am still sorting out what happened last year but I suspect evil herbicide drift from the overzealous greenhorn farmer with a field across the road. I think he was madly spraying Round Up to control perimeter weeds and the drift cloud did in some ancient long established pines and thujas on my benches.
My problem with thujas have been not working them and letting them sit in big boxes, slow down, get root bound and just sit there. Well this year I repotted everyone and am on a mission of rejuvenation and refinement. Your posts give me hope!

Yes, they can definitely be killed in a pot. I used to think Thuja was practically invincible as I have seen them achieve miracles in rootgrowth that no conifer should be able to achieve. However, my compost pile tells another story...

Sorry to hear about the losses. And yes - get to work on those thuja! And post some pics! :)

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Update: the tree is growing stronger than any other Thuja in my garden, so I killed back a large useless portion of the upper secondary trunk. I typically remove unwanted branches from yamadori in a stepwise fashion instead of all at once at the time of collecting. Most of the remaining branches will be used in the design of the bonsai.

Much thinning is needed of the remaining foliage (~50%), but I think I will let it grow for another month or so.

cV3L8.jpg

Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
what can you say ... except that is one marvelously happy healthy gnarly looking awesome piece of material... and I am jealous as all hell

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Should I pull over and grab you on my way to find some of these Canadian miracles Eric?

ohhh hell yeah!!! I would make a trip up there in a heart beat if I could find a way to get away long enough!!!

your heading to the east side of CA?? while ur up there.... larches.... omg larches!

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Oh crap, as if the fresh water and oil wasn't enough, now you want our little trees too???

:D:D:D

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
ohhh hell yeah!!! I would make a trip up there in a heart beat if I could find a way to get away long enough!!!

your heading to the east side of CA?? while ur up there.... larches.... omg larches!

Unfortunately, I can't get away either, but if the time comes that I do, I'll swing by, either on my way to grab you or on my way back to rub it in ;)

Last edited:

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh crap, as if the fresh water and oil wasn't enough, now you want our little trees too???

:D:D:D
Keep the oil, our gas companies are going to gouge us no matter how much crude they have...

The trees on the other hand... now those I'd love to plunder

Top Bottom