Big, too little forest

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just wanted to have a place to put my project so I could get tips/advice and to share my ficus too little forest.
The end goal is a crazy jungle with lots of aerial roots and roots over rocks. image.jpg
I went to a nursery and found these ficus too little stock at 2.99 each. Nothing too special little guys size of a pencil, but healthy. I have several Benjis and a few retusa and a green island but I’ve never had a too little. But a ficus is a ficus. I’ve seen pics of them and wanted one so I went ahead and bought one... or 8, but who’s counting. Anyways I’m planning on using this stock for my forest. I’m either using 5 or 7. I’ve read forests should be odd numbers. OR I’ll go against the grain and use 6!
A0899D61-A72E-4124-92D6-681EEDEFF0BA.jpegI got these rocks, slate I think, from a nearby nursery for $6.
0FAD3C1E-132C-4D71-AB9E-30595C18522D.jpeg
Using some cement construction adhesive I made these cliff like structures.
84DF0840-F335-46D4-B2D1-90F6F6DEC4BF.jpeg
I originally bought the big training pot on the right for this but it turned out to be way to big. For this. I’m not sure where I would be able to put it.?
00C2E2C1-C3F8-4F7F-893B-711933D2D91F.jpeg91D3E8C7-3A4B-4E5C-BCC5-75F64DC76B05.jpeg
So I had this seedling tray hanging around and decided to use that. Just need to drill some holes for drainage. Not the best art work but you get the picture. The rocks are also going to be elevated higher with space in between for a path
641C4A3E-1462-4B55-B001-D7D2588B2E00.jpeg
E6194CA4-0640-4893-84A9-AD5F05F21D36.jpeg6E876DBE-B53F-4012-A4F0-4EF6BE10E9C8.jpeg
Still need to sand and stain it. But I made the box with cedar board and added some trim. Even mitered the edges ?. I also need to put a support bracket in the bottom of it to hold this big forest.
I wanted a nice pot but this size I would of needed=$$. So this will work for now.

That’s where I’m at now. I’m planning on adding soil and trees this weekend hopefully if my wife doesn’t drag me anywhere. The rocks will almost be completely buried for quite some time while the roots kick up. I think after this summer I can start to expose some of the roots.
Summer...
I can’t wait!
Let me know what you think and anytips would be more than helpful.
Forrest.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I see some trees with different leaves, not good. The different varieties will grow ~somewhat differently and make it difficult to style, over time.FTLf 20170402_135006.jpgHere, there are 5 on the left and 6 on the right of two varieties of 'Too Little'. The right trees are smaller and slower growing, lighter color, and balancing the image is problematic. The group were $2 trees in ~2001 and are now too interwoven to separate graciously. The die is cast.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I see some trees with different leaves, not good. The different varieties will grow ~somewhat differently and make it difficult to style, over time.View attachment 229772Here, there are 5 on the left and 6 on the right of two varieties of 'Too Little'. The right trees are smaller and slower growing, lighter color, and balancing the image is problematic. The group were $2 trees in ~2001 and are now too interwoven to separate graciously. The die is cast.
Looking good man.
The ones you see are a bunch of different varieties, good eye. I bought several different species but I have 5 that are the same variety of too little. In that plastic tray there’s I think 12.
I haven’t made my forest yet I think I’m going to wait until spring when I can put it outside.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A support bracket won’t hold the weight of the trees and soil much less all those rocks. You should put a series of slats across the bottom to support it all. Take a look at Nigel Saunders YouTube channel espcially his larch forest—he made one just lke this.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A support bracket won’t hold the weight of the trees and soil much less all those rocks. You should put a series of slats across the bottom to support it all. Take a look at Nigel Saunders YouTube channel espcially his larch forest—he made one just lke this.
FC9372D1-0376-43F8-9814-B40E41B7321C.jpeg4F0726A2-14C7-425D-A5CD-5993E40B1139.jpeg
Yeah I used some scrap 2x4. Its pretty firm. I’m a huge fan of Nigel Saunders that’s actually where I got the idea from haha

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Skip the flimsy plastic tray and put chicken wire on the bottom of the growbox. Fill with coarse soil, and there you go!

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any update on forest ?
Negative. Spring came and I got busy with my 87,000 other projects. I spent some time looking at it and decided not to plant them like this, it didnt exactly fit the way I wanted it too. I used the cuttings on a big piece of Lava I had and I made a little temple for another ficus. Sorry to disapoint! I still have the box I made, might use it for something else, something I can keep outside year round.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Negative. Spring came and I got busy with my 87,000 other projects. I spent some time looking at it and decided not to plant them like this, it didnt exactly fit the way I wanted it too. I used the cuttings on a big piece of Lava I had and I made a little temple for another ficus. Sorry to disapoint! I still have the box I made, might use it for something else, something I can keep outside year round.
87000 projects wow. Well best of luck for the future projects.

Top Bottom