Big training pots on the cheap

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
What’s everyone’s source for large training pots on the cheap? Not sure I feel like building one though I think that may be best. Container store? Large nursery pots (would need quite a big one)?

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just how large? An idea of dimensions might help. I found some great super cheap medium sized options - $2 microwave dish lids at Ikea. For larger stuff, maybe grow bags or plastic garden planters - I have a couple of larger ones like 14 & 16 inches from Bloem maybe?

And there's also constructing custom wooden grow boxes if you have odd sized/large material.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
A lot of this subject depends on how you define a training pot. Do you want something that is shallow which will encourage shallow roots, or something with screen sides that will do the same thing?

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I think it'll need to be around 1-2'w and 8-10"d. It is for a field grown dogwood that is currently in ball and burlap.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think it'll need to be around 1-2'w and 8-10"d. It is for a field grown dogwood that is currently in ball and burlap.
Will it be possible to get help from someone who is familiar with this tree in your area. I do not wish to suggest that this is beyond your ability, I have not clue of your ability. However; field grown and balled in burlap trees are almost always growing in a soil mix mostly heavy clay less the soil ball fall apart and tear up the root system. In short if possible you should probably remove as much of the original soil mass that is prudent without killing the tree.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yeah I was essentially planning on bare rooting it and re-potting with a bonsai appropriate mix.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Cost ya a buck at Wal Mart. You'll need to drill some holes in the bottom, but cheap and good sized. I've been using them for collected material for the last few years. I have some larch going into year 3 and no sign of them breaking down or getting brittle yet. Make lots of holes in the bottom and around the bottom edge to keep roots from circling.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190201-230932.png
    Screenshot_20190201-230932.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 104

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Go to a local nursery, they will often have piles of leftover black nursery pots. In my experience they give them out for free, or charge next to nothing. Reduce and reuse!!!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

second time recently I posted one of these here tube videos...
Should you watch it seems to example your thoughts similar & I’m pretty sure there’s a follow-up where it’s healthy..

could just build a box?...I think the pot the cat in this video has is readily around otherwise.

What kind of dogwood is it? I’ve been on the hunt for a C. florida, kousa is not native around here &, dogwood talk seems rare.

Tight block bark/bracts

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
second time recently I posted one of these here tube videos...
Should you watch it seems to example your thoughts similar & I’m pretty sure there’s a follow-up where it’s healthy..

could just build a box?...I think the pot the cat in this video has is readily around otherwise.

What kind of dogwood is it? I’ve been on the hunt for a C. florida, kousa is not native around here &, dogwood talk seems rare.

Tight block bark/bracts

Funny you posted a video from him. Actually messaged him on Instagram as he’s in a similar area and that’s the exact method I have in mind.

My dogwood is a kousa. A left over from a nursery I used to work at I got for free.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Funny you posted a video from him. Actually messaged him on Instagram as he’s in a similar area and that’s the exact method I have in mind.

My dogwood is a kousa. A left over from a nursery I used to work at I got for free.

Good things. All I know of it is Kousa is its edible, but it’s quite sour, max ~2m.
I’ve seen a couple in landscape here. Don’t seem a popular horticulture plant, but that doesn’t say a lot. I bet you could treat it like a florida but that’s at straight up bet.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
They're grown a bit in the landscape here on LI; not the most popular but there's plenty around. I like the fruits, although some are better than others and I'm still figuring out the ripeness best for eating. I've heard they are best in wetter years.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Like what @Brewing and Bonsai said, check at nurseries.

At my nursery, we always had empty pots laying around and I would always give them away. We have a "pot" recycle bin at the exit door, mostly smaller 4-6" pots and flats, but people are always dropping off more or rummaging through it.

For my needs at my house, I have a stack of 5gals, 7gals, 15gals, and 25gal pots ready to go or cut down to appropriate heights. Look for the really sturdy, thicker plastic 7gal and 15gal pots, they don't lose as much stiffness when cut down to size and make moving the trees less troublesome. For some of my trees in the bigger, less sturdy pots, I can't move them until at least 2 months while they're rooting in, but other wise they work great.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is probably best to make a pot. I have used hypertuffa and wood. If it is just for a year or two you can use pallet wood which is free. I have some hypertuffa pots that are up to about 10 years old. I have a pot 20 x 30 inch made of pressure treated 2 x 8 that I made and planted 29 years ago that is still rock solid. It is not sitting on the ground, it is on blocks. It has had a JWP and a Kingsville boxwood in it for all of those years. It is a Penjing Style planting. This spring I am going to re-pot it. The boxwood has a 2 inch cal truck and is about 10 inches tall and 16 inches wide. It will be fun to play with.
Off subject, I am using pond baskets instead of colanders for in ground developing. They will outlast the cheaper plastic by years. I have a few that are about 10 - 12 years old. Square 9 x 9 x 5 for $2.95 at Lowes. Though my Lowes has none at this time, but I have 16.
Sorry, I tend to ramble at times.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Building a box is fun....well, I enjoy it anyway. I use wood boxes exclusively....along with healthy ground growing efforts. I find lots of simple advantages that work for me.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My sources in order of cheapness:
- plastic nursery pots (free)
- homemade concrete pots (molded, all together about $1.50 a piece)
- DIY wooden grow boxes (about $3 a piece)
- store bought pots ($4-15 a piece)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My sources in order of cheapness:
- plastic nursery pots (free)
- homemade concrete pots (molded, all together about $1.50 a piece)
- DIY wooden grow boxes (about $3 a piece)
- store bought pots ($4-15 a piece)
The porosity of hypertuffa is vastly superior to concrete and takes much less time to cure as it leaches the lime very freely. It is also half the weight of concrete. If you have not used it, look it up. There are different formulas for different densities but basically it is concrete with perlite and peat mixed in. Toss is a handfull of shredded fiberglass additive for superior strength. Like I said, I have some about 10 years old. I have made them as small as 6 inches and as large as 36 inches.

Top Bottom