Big tree wiring

Reaction score
This isn't strictly a bonsai question, but I think that the principles are the same, so I'll ask anyway and hope this is the right place.

In my garden is a large lilac tree hidden behind the garage and you can't see it from the kitchen, but as I was sitting in said kitchen I thought it would look nice if the trees branches were pulled over so it looks like it is partially visible.

Does anyone know whether proper trees can be trained (in a fashion) so that I may see it sort of cascade from behind the garage. The trunk is way too thick to do anything with, but the branches are rather supple.

If I used guy ropes or the like to pull the branches into view, would they eventually set into that shape, or is a fully grown tree not really able to respond to that sort of intervention?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, you can. In Japanese gardens it's called niwaki. Only difference between bonsai and niwaki is that trees are in a pot, or in the ground.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I directionally pruned a linden to wrap around a corner. Cool long term project that I plan to do without wire.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Many gardeners use strings, wires, weights or sticks to change the shape of branches. Branches and trunks can be pulled down, pushed sideways or pushed/pulled up. All growing wood will set in whatever position it is held in after a give time. Thicker branches may take a little longer to set but it will definitely happen.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If I used guy ropes or the like to pull the branches into view, would they eventually set into that shape, or is a fully grown tree not really able to respond to that sort of intervention?
The age of the tree shouldn't affect the suppleness of newer branches - these can of course be held in position to set. I would also second what Shibui said. I was able to use ropes and weights to put some bend into a 1.5" thick JM trunk. I would go slow or you will snap the branch.

Top Bottom