Big tuna mugho-bigfoot.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It looks like there is a graft right at the top of the base, though it's hard to tell. Either that's a good graft or the tree just grew an elephant foot.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, it is grafted. ALL Big Tuna mugos are grafted.
Every named variety mugo I have seen in a nursery has been grafted. I agree, the graft is right at the top of that nice fat base.

J. Adrian

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It looks like there is a graft right at the top of the base, though it's hard to tell. Either that's a good graft or the tree just grew an elephant foot.[/QUOT

Yes that caught my eye, the rest is in need of TLC badly.

J. Adrian

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'd probably buy it.
Got it on hold. Really thinking about the purchase. &
Thinking about trunk chop to about 4 ft from 8 ft come fall, for now TLC. Its badly rootbound, going to need a slip pot soon ,but still pushing buds. Might just call it Bigfoot!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny looking base trunk transition. Do not be led astray just because of fat base. Unless can get for cheap pass on to better tree;).

J. Adrian

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Funny looking base trunk transition. Do not be led astray just because of fat base. Unless can get for cheap pass on to better tree;).

Yes I'm trying to negotiate for cheaper price and still contemplating on the trunk chop it needs as well as getting it healthier if not then landscape material, as long as I do not kill it!

Random User

Reaction score
I did some research on the Big Tunas a couple of years ago, and was told that they are grafted onto Scots Pine rootstock. However, I personally didn't see them doing it, so take that little bit of information with a sizeable grain of salt.

I have one kicking around here that seems to be happy being a little tree... and, over time, I think the bark variations will blend out so that the graft is barely noticeable. If I was going to guide someone on buying one of these, I'd just say that it is all about the skill and luck that the grafter has or had at the time. Since the graft is never done with bonsai in mind, they can be somewhat ugly when completed.

I've been letting mine recover for a couple of years now, so this season I'll begin to give it a little work and see how it reacts to it.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
The base looks good, the transition between the base and the graft is a little abrupt for my taste, but could be overcome with good branch placement. My major concern is the legginess of the branches once you get up to just below the yellow rope. If it is super cheap, it might be worth it, but I wouldn't spend too much on it.

Top Bottom