Big Twisted California Juniper

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Good advice. I have changed the soil a few times on this one but my concern is fitting it into a shallower container. My plan is to have a deeper container ready for a backup plan. I'm not a club member so I don't really know any bonsai experts to help but I will have added muscle for the job. The health of the tree is absolutely the priority so I will proceed with that in mind.
If you're near Northridge you can bring it by the nursery and I'll help you. Kimura Bonsai Nursery 17230 Roscoe Bl Northridge CA

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're near Northridge you can bring it by the nursery and I'll help you. Kimura Bonsai Nursery 17230 Roscoe Bl Northridge CA
Thanks, that's nice of you to offer. I may just take you up on that offer but I will have to rent a tall van to transport the tree so I'm not quite sure. Thanks again.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good angle change, very creative pot. Now root system very well known for future special pot. How big is tree please🤔.
The pot is 24 x24in. About 40" from soil to top of foliage plus another 20" to top of deadwood. It's a little big to show or even move for that matter but I'm going to style when ready.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The pot is 24 x24in. About 40" from soil to top of foliage plus another 20" to top of deadwood. It's a little big to show or even move for that matter but I'm going to style when ready.

You could style it...or not. I like the wild look of the foliage. It reminds me of the desert in the southwest.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

Tell me about it. We have about 50 trees that size or larger in our show this weekend. And I have do most of the heavy lifting.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Really remarkable tree, and the prettiest grow box I’ve ever seen. It will be awesome to see this thing get another styling and a ceramic pot.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really remarkable tree, and the prettiest grow box I’ve ever seen. It will be awesome to see this thing get another styling and a ceramic pot.
Thanks for digging this thread up. I did do another styling on this tree. I will provide updated pic in the next few days.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for digging this thread up. I did do another styling on this tree. I will provide updated pic in the next few days.
Awesome, can’t wait! In the mean time, I’ll go dig up some other threads of yours.

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Wow, that is gorgeous. Absolutely stunning deadwood. I can only dream about working on trees as nice as this one. Will be following the progress of this one forsure

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that is gorgeous. Absolutely stunning deadwood. I can only dream about working on trees as nice as this one. Will be following the progress of this one forsure
Thansks bdmatt. I am very grateful to have this tree and get to work on it. I know its worthy of a professional styling but I am don't think I can let anyone else touch this tree lol.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thomas, you have an amazing tree with great heritage! A true family heirloom and memento to your father.

I love that you are keeping it in the spirit of how it would look wild and natural.

Take care of it and keep it healthy. I would love to see it in a major show one day.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thansks bdmatt. I am very grateful to have this tree and get to work on it. I know its worthy of a professional styling but I am don't think I can let anyone else touch this tree lol.
i think you’ve got the chops to handle the work yourself, but maybe a sort of consultation could help. I think collaboration is huge, and with this material, your skills, and the eye of a few other talented artists, this tree could be an award winner!

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
What an amazing tree and what a gift from your dad, when I first saw this tree I thought it was Bjorn's famous humongous Juniper.

Scriv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Absolutely spectacular tree. Made even more so because of the story behind it. Would love to see where it's at now.

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I completely agree with the consensus here. That is a world class tree with even bigger sentimental value. You can keep it alive in the current pot but If i were making the move to a 'proper' shallow bonsai pot, I (through fear of killing it myself) would enlist experienced help to ensure it's long term health

Top Bottom