Big ugly olive, what to do?

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Friend of my parents immigrated recently and gave me an olive that they had been gifted many years ago.

I don't want this tree, and it's taking up space at my parent's place. I can either sell it for a few bucks or chop it down and try grow a sumo clump. The nebari measures around 8" wide.

What should I do?

IMG-5750 (Custom).jpg
IMG-5754 (Custom).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5755 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_5755 (Custom).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 17

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Base looks too overgrown to me.

I don't see this coming into better proportion if it hasn't already.

Graft?

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think it is a shame to chop. I would sell it to someone who wants to clean up the canopy and bring it towards bonsai. It has a nice base.
Agree...I feel the trunk doesn't lead to a sumo even if chopped...even if it grew into a clump. If you can't appreciate it and move it further into bonsai. Sell it to one who might see a direction with it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love sumo...I just don't see it. If that was your only vision. Then I was for selling it. I've had a tree that came onto my bench for the pot alone...I glared at it. Didnt tell ones how much a pondered getting rid of it. I love it now.

I wonder what the structure is underneath the foliage. If you cleaned it up some...if you would have a better appreciation for the tree. By seeing more than just a full canopy and a straight trunk. But the structure found in the canopy could make you appreciate this tree more is my belief. If you are on the wall you may wanted to keep it.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
@Cadillactaste its not great, the entire backside of the tree is bare due to being up against a wall at the previous (non bonsai) owners’ house.
I wouldn’t say I’m on the fence, I was definitely leaning over to the “sell” side. I’m going to move it on and put my time and attention into the trees I really like

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sell it as a nice landscape pedestal tree that fruits to a gardener. Someone would love it as a yard ornament. It would look great from the street. I have a couple here...
20200601_172458.jpg
Mine are too big to just grab and run away with, and are species that will never be reduced to bonsai dimensions, but look nice from a distance. Look for announcements for garden club meetings and call an officer of the club of a likely candidate club and ask if any interest. Someone will leap at the chance for something special. Don't badmouth it. Sell the sizzle!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Start with clubs you receive to be in the higher end parts of your community/region. Rich people have better taste.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
not receive, perceive (Goddamn creeping spelling correction)

Bagels

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love olives, one of my favorite species. I would gladly take this off your hands if you lived in California. I'm sure an olive enthusiast could find fun in this project over the next few years.

JoesBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
Friend of my parents immigrated recently and gave me an olive that they had been gifted many years ago.

I don't want this tree, and it's taking up space at my parent's place. I can either sell it for a few bucks or chop it down and try grow a sumo clump. The nebari measures around 8" wide.

What should I do?

View attachment 353935
View attachment 353934
I Have a few Olives myself and this tree does have protentional , you need to be prepared to cut it back and start the top all over again.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sell it as a nice landscape pedestal tree that fruits to a gardener. Someone would love it as a yard ornament. It would look great from the street. I have a couple here...
View attachment 353963
Mine are too big to just grab and run away with, and are species that will never be reduced to bonsai dimensions, but look nice from a distance. Look for announcements for garden club meetings and call an officer of the club of a likely candidate club and ask if any interest. Someone will leap at the chance for something special. Don't badmouth it. Sell the sizzle!
That garden ❤️❤️❤️

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The back side, the “bare” side, is probably the front! Lol!!!

Seriously, olives grow quickly, and this tree if pruned and wired would look fabulous within a year.

If you can’t see it, then by all means sell it. It is NOT a sumo!

Trust me, I KNOW Sumo olives:

DF5D6E12-27F3-449C-B5C8-6D8D88725580.jpeg

B385EBF8-DC09-4E0F-A6D2-3CFE0F896BD8.jpeg

A85E5E2F-47BA-4B04-979C-1DFA82BA2987.jpeg

Attachments

• 07DFA08D-64B6-4448-A627-2E834FD18951.jpeg
    07DFA08D-64B6-4448-A627-2E834FD18951.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom