Big ups for Plantentuin Esveld. NL/DE/BE possibly EU?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I needed more tight foliage for grafting.
Can you guys guess what type of juniper this is, based on the foliage?

IMG_20200212_185331.jpg
26 euros a piece. 10 euros shipping (from across the country).
Height should've been 40-50cm but it's closer to 60-70cm. The trunk is roughly 2.5cm in diameter, and they have movement down low!

IMG_20200212_184954.jpg
That's one tuft of foliage. Puffy innit?

How many of your plants have a passport? NAK tuinbouw (a phytosanitation and plant research company) has provided legitimate quality controls, for just a few bucks extra. Not that I have a choice, they do this to all their plants. And I'm happy they do.

IMG_20200212_190306.jpg

Anyhow, another great experience with these guys. Their website isn't the best and I've never been to their offline store. The communication isn't great either; these are plant people, not businessmen. And they seem good at being plant people. The pricing, quality and legitimacy of their products can't be beat. Similar sized junipers go for double that price on other websites.
The variety of junipers they have in stock is mind blowing. I honestly think they offer the widest variety of conifers in this part of Europe.
The passport and official quality control indicate that they even might(!) sell world wide. Or at least Europe wide. Although I don't think they offer anything in another language.

Packaging is great, these trees came packed in some kind of insulating straw-like stuff. Damp and all. Decent cardboard all around.
Delivery times have varied in the past; one time I had to wait through winter for an order to come through (hence the mention of communication), but it seems that they ship year round nowadays. That might have something to do with the warm winter we're having though. This time it too less than a week from ordering to home delivery.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cool. Is this Blaauws' juniper, J chinensis 'blaauw' ?
Darnit, right at the first try! You can see them being (wrongfully?) advertised as kishu at the Trophy. The giveaway I believe is that kishu, like itoigawa, has a golden tone to it in winter. Blaauw stays blue greenish.

Arnold_K says the blaauw are slow growers, but in my back yard they seem to grow faster than common chinensis. Mine are less than a year in my possession, they might slow down later. From what I can tell, they can take a beating without a flinch.

AaronVh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They are based in my hometown where I grew up. Heard great things about them, never been there tho. Have you got any pictures of the trunk? I'm curious how the trees look like, I'm probably gonna order a Blaauw myself.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They are based in my hometown where I grew up. Heard great things about them, never been there tho. Have you got any pictures of the trunk? I'm curious how the trees look like, I'm probably gonna order a Blaauw myself.
I'll probably start working on one of them this weekend, I'll snap some shots for you.
I have a thread titled 'breaking my head over this juniper' with pictures of the previous one I bought, that one was straight as an arrow. To my knowledge, the blaauw juniper has been developed in Boskoop, so it's an originally Dutch cultivar.
If you're close to them, I suggest you have a look at their stock IRL instead of ordering one. There are probably a few dutchies or belgians wanting some too, so I see an opportunity for you to make a couple extra euros.
I was lucky this time, last time not that much with the straight trunk. The time before that, I received a triple trunk specimen.

AaronVh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll probably start working on one of them this weekend, I'll snap some shots for you.
I have a thread titled 'breaking my head over this juniper' with pictures of the previous one I bought, that one was straight as an arrow. To my knowledge, the blaauw juniper has been developed in Boskoop, so it's an originally Dutch cultivar.
If you're close to them, I suggest you have a look at their stock IRL instead of ordering one. There are probably a few dutchies or belgians wanting some too, so I see an opportunity for you to make a couple extra euros.
I was lucky this time, last time not that much with the straight trunk. The time before that, I received a triple trunk specimen.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Yeah I think i will have a look at the nursery next week.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you building a deer?
You know what it is like this part of the world. Hunting licences are hotly debated. So off to get myself a bonsai deer. Nobody telling me what I can or cannot kill!

Eventually it will be a really cool tree. I am sure. If not, I will have a very nice bonfire.

Top Bottom