Bigger Baskets Alternatives and Above Ground Roots

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
So we recently had a strange few days of rain here in OKC, and its really changed my plans for my ficus.

I put it into this basket last summer and really wanted to leave it there for 2 seasons while I let it bulk up, but after all this rain I've got roots everywhere!

My questions are, what other things can I repot it into this summer that will let it grow more freely for a longer period?

Also, what about these roots above ground? Should I do something special to encourage them to keep growing into the ground?

Attachments

• 20180626_160936.jpg
    20180626_160936.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20180626_160952.jpg
    20180626_160952.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 38

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Aerial roots are good for this style? I would be happy with them if I would get them.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So we recently had a strange few days of rain here in OKC, and its really changed my plans for my ficus.

I put it into this basket last summer and really wanted to leave it there for 2 seasons while I let it bulk up, but after all this rain I've got roots everywhere!

My questions are, what other things can I repot it into this summer that will let it grow more freely for a longer period?

Also, what about these roots above ground? Should I do something special to encourage them to keep growing into the ground?
If you just repotted then those roots outside the pot are probably the longest extensions and once they dry out they will die back and hopefully branch inside the pot to develop more root mass. If you thought the rootmass was developed and would hold together you could slip pot to a larger size. But in a loose mix and new pot, you might just have the root ball crumble back and run the risk of disturbing too many roots. I suppose you could put it inside a larger basket, I’ve have not tried that with ficus.

If you are wanting coarse rapid growth, I would bury the basket and let those roots run. I’m not sure how beneficial it would be in your area, but you still have at least 3 months left of outside growing right? I usually don’t get much thickening in year one, but that is relative to the couple inches of diameter that my ficus can put on in year 2 of escaped roots and year round growing outside.

I use spaghnum or cheaper moss and wrapped with plastic wrap to trap more moisture for those aerial roots while they reach the substrate. I have also used a straw to direct a higher root down to the surface.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Air-pot / colander technique of air pruning has no effect on
ficus, especially with moist air.

To encourage existing roots, slit a straw and carefully place
around the root.

If you want aerial roots.
You can try this wrap area with wet long strand sphagnum moss,
keep moist and keep checking. Roots can develop rapidly.
Good Day
Anthony

* Tests on our local willow leaf ficus show trunk expansions
after 3 feet of growing branches, and in under a month.
Do fertilise weekly.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
@Cypress187 @hemmy @Anthony thank you for your replies.

I just want it to thicken up. Its put on great size in this last year. I potted this almost a year ago, around July 4th of last year and was just going to leave it for 2 years.

I can't plant in the ground because I'm afraid my dog would urine on it lol

Could I just use a bigger plastic container? Maybe with a bunch of holes drilled into it for drainage instead? Just put this pot into that so that the roots can run?

The aerial roots are just a bonus, of course they are a trademark of ficus so encouraging these would be awesome. I think I may have some moss somewhere, but @Anthony would that extra moisture around the trunk run the risk of mold or some other kind of deterioration?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John,

on my side a Willow type ficus, needs only 1 inch of soil,
to grow a 3 foot branch.
As long as your air temperature stays above 70 deg.F and
below 90 deg.F, plus humidity between 80 to 60 %.
You should get similar results.

We use full sun but our air temperature stays below 90 deg.F
max is 93 deg.F for 10 to 30 minutes.
Night is 75 to 70 deg,F

Ficus come from humid zones, not sure about fungus.
Good Day
Anthony

note 1" of soil and the soil mix is 90 % silica based gravel,
10 % compost.

Ficus 4th year Sept 2013.jpg

3 inch trunk and spending more time learning how to stop it from continuing to expand,
Roots lifting the plant out of the pot.

ficus.jpg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
would that extra moisture around the trunk run the risk of mold or some other kind of deterioration?

I’ve had damp sphagnum wrapped around ficus microcarpa trunks for years without any harm to the bark. Ficus sapwood/heartwood is softer and will rot if left continually wet. I’ve used wood hardener or just clean it out while waiting for it to callous over.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Cypress187 @hemmy @Anthony thank you for your replies.

I just want it to thicken up. Its put on great size in this last year. I potted this almost a year ago, around July 4th of last year and was just going to leave it for 2 years.

I can't plant in the ground because I'm afraid my dog would urine on it lol

Could I just use a bigger plastic container? Maybe with a bunch of holes drilled into it for drainage instead? Just put this pot into that so that the roots can run?

The aerial roots are just a bonus, of course they are a trademark of ficus so encouraging these would be awesome. I think I may have some moss somewhere, but @Anthony would that extra moisture around the trunk run the risk of mold or some other kind of deterioration?

It depends on your actually present and upcoming weather. There are options of course - Give me a call.

Grimmy

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My ficus tolerate low 40s F (overnight temp) outdoors, but don’t seem to really start growing again until nights are in mid-upper 50s.

Top Bottom