Bigger nothofagus antarctica

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Over the weekend I had the opportunity to get myself a nothofagus antarctica. I used to have one, but a hot sunny dat made an end to its career a few years ago., Ever since I have been looking for a bigger tree to get, but no luck so far. Untill this weekend.

I went to pick it up Saturday night. And was shocked. On the pictures it looked like a big tree alright. But I was not prepared for the 15 (?) ft monster waiting.

It was reduced on the spot to 20% to fit in the car. The rootball was unceremoniously reduced to 1/3 with a saw too. Now it is sitting all bundled up in plastic, waiting till the current warm spell passes.

notofagus1.jpgnotofagus2.jpg

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
Such a cool species to work with. And the natural ramification you get with these is amazing.
Here in NZ we have 3 native species of Northofagus, now re classified as Fuscaspora. These 3 are Fuscaspora fusca (red beech), Fuscaspora solandri (mountain beech), and Fuscaspora mensezii? ( silver beech), and the mountain and silver beech are best. Also root work and big chops work well leaving foliage after chop etc.
344D8034-6FA0-4A00-8BBD-ECA00D9A1CC2.jpeg7B409E81-2E4A-4D1E-B13E-5A1CBBCF2501.jpeg
This is my pre pre-bonsai start after 3 years and a nursery purchase ( probably 5 years old in total).
Yours looks like a good start, and ready to make a go of it in the Spring.
Charles

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my pre pre-bonsai start after 3 years and a nursery purchase
Nice one!
Howe does yours deal with cuts? Mine ever really thrived; You know, early days into bonsai, pushing the thing all the time. (Which caused its decline I am sure. Not the hot day in itself, but being weakened from 3 repots and 6 trimmings in 2 years)

Yours looks like a good start, and ready to make a go of it in the Spring.
Thx! Still debating which route to take forwards. It might end up in 10G/45l container for 2-4 years to seal the 3inch chop that I do not want, but is inevitably in its future..

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
Sorry I can’t really help re cuts closing etc. I am thinking that they are probably slow to heal as they don’t grow/girth very fast.
My little tree is only about thumb thick girth so no large cuts here.
I will watch though as I am looking for a bigger one for my forest.
Charles

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So.. last night I was.. Let's see whether I have a pot to slip this into. Just slip it in. So I brought it into the workshop...

1600162564118.png

Reactions: LAS

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Oops! Look like a very cool species and a funky looking specimen too. Hope it survives...

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Quite a resilient species then? It seems like it’s got all the hallmarks of a great one for bonsai, you’ve already got some foliage pads without doing anything!

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it waking up yet? I just came across a small Nothofagus antarctica "Chillan". The interwebs knows zilch about this cultivar. Wondering how much root work it can take.

They apparently grow really well in maritime climates like mine. At what temp did your earlier one die?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it waking up yet
Nothing concrete showing yet.

Then again, this is what the yard looks like at the moment. Smart trees stay in bed.
spring.jpg

My previous one got cooked at somewhere 32, 33C say ~90F. The big one I now have in the shade. Maybe I overworked it the months before?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been wanting one for a couple of years but haven't found one yet.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Little too funky for me. It looks elmish.
:)

The idea was of to let the branches grow long, let the trunkline thicken up and then build the canopy. Water-bridge. Tree is dead :)

The leaves do look like chinese elm leaves a little

Top Bottom