Bilbo's juniper #3

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Progress thread for a junioer i just picked up.

20160628_142418.jpg
Im not sure if i want to leave it as is or if i want to stake it up like this.

It looks better staked up in real life as opposed to this picture.

20160628_142547.jpg

I think i see more of a finished tree in the 1st picture

Thoughts?

I will style this tomorrow.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
I was thinking something like this from the 1st image. I have another juniper i want to cascade.

2016-06-28 17.28.18.jpg

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Thats a really old juniper yours is still young very young compared to your last pic but it can be done, the shape is there.

Rick
For sure im in no rush. I just osted that image because the shap of that old tree jumps out to me in the one i just bought.

Im going to keep this one pretty small.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Ok so i have just completed my initial styling/potted it up. I do not believe its the best time of year to be doing this type of work? Being mid winter? Anyway i have two fronts to choose from.

Front 1

20160629_154012.jpg 20160629_154036.jpg

Front 2

20160629_153928.jpg

For a $16 tree im pretty happy with how it is looking so far...assuming it doesnt die on me.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start so far, I prefer the one insult pee year method with junipers but it should be fine if you leave it untouched for the next year. $16?! Now go buy another one from the same source!

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice start so far, I prefer the one insult pee year method with junipers but it should be fine if you leave it untouched for the next year. $16?! Now go buy another one from the same source!

Cheers. I really like it how it is at the moment so leaving it be should not be an issue.

They dont have too many left at the moment. I missed my opportunity. They originally had hundreds of juniper easily twice the size for $30. Another nursery came and bought all of them the day before i went to get some.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd try to bend it up more. Then let it grow a few years. In a bucket or the ground. Whichever you prefer.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
I'd try to bend it up more. Then let it grow a few years. In a bucket or the ground. Whichever you prefer.

I can bend it up quite easily. Any reaso why you think i should? Or just personal preference?

I have 2 other junipers in the ground at
the moment. I am not too concerned with thickening this one up. I basically bought this with the intention of having an "instant bonsai". Very tempting to put his in the ground though as i really like the shape.

Top Bottom