Bilbo's LED Experimentation tent.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
My greenhouse that i set up recently was temorarily destroyed in some storms not to long ago.

I have a 900w Led grow light and tent. So i thought why not start a indoor bonsai grow. We are in winter here. I understand that tree's need the cycles of the seasons for proper growth/rest etc.

Anyway i want to see if i can maximise growth over winter and then put them back outside in spring.

In the tent i have a japanese maple, trident maple, ficus, olive, mango, golden rain tree & boabab.

Snapchat-1952634950050146166.jpg Snapchat-2516318475985492797.jpg

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mate...you're in NSW, yeah? This is unnecessary, you'll get year round growth with most plants anyway. Deciduous trees need dormancy otherwise they burn out. Mother Nature knows what she's doing, it's winter, kick back and take a break. Spring growth will sweep you off your feet

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Mate...you're in NSW, yeah? This is unnecessary, you'll get year round growth with most plants anyway. Deciduous trees need dormancy otherwise they burn out. Mother Nature knows what she's doing, it's winter, kick back and take a break. Spring growth will sweep you off your feet

I understand but my intention is to see if i can maximise growth to these tree's and then put them into normal dormancy next winter. Maybe do this every second winter. I have always heard about tree's need for rest periods but i havent come across any studies and i would like to push the envelope.

Besides whats the worst that could happen?

Last edited:

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
You won't get much growth with that red light. Most LEDs are made for flowering plants, which elms and maples are not. You're doing more harm than good not giving the trees a rest.

Interesting i have definately had a lot of growth with flowering plants in the past, Chinese tomatoes as sorce mentioned. I have had non flowering tree's in there for short periods of time with good results. As i mentioned in a previous post i plan to basically make these plants skip a winter and then give them a normal winter the following season. Basically i want to satisfy my curiosity. I havent put any of my good trees in there so i am not too concerned if they die or not.

Last edited:

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Can you guys point me i the right direction to any clear evidence of experiments like this doing major harm to tree's ? I amean no dosrespect i am super curious.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Can you guys point me i the right direction to any clear evidence of experiments like this doing major harm to tree's ? I mean no disrespect i am just super curious.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Can you guys point me i the right direction to any clear evidence of experiments like this doing major harm to tree's ? I mean no disrespect i am just super curious.

Look outside. You're really doing much more harm than good by making them work overtime. They will be weaker and will grow poorly in the spring because they're stressed.

Search on here for people that have tried to do this same thing. It never ends well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Interesting i have definately had a lot of growth with flowering plants in the past, Chinese tomatoes as sorce mentioned. I have had non flowering tree's in there for short periods of time with good results. As i mentioned in a previous post i plan to basically make these plants skip a winter and then give them a normal winter the following season. Basically i want to satisfy my curiosity. I havent put any of my good trees in there so i am not too concerned if they die or not.
Skipping a winter will kill temperate trees - well known fact which I'm not going to try and justify to you.
You live in the sub tropics...

How does ANY of this make sense?

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
the light looks red, but im sure if he has a 900w LED its a full spectrum light, seems to be more red than blue, primiary designed for the flowering stages, either way, what these people are saying is true, you are going the difficult, expensive, not real logical route. sounds like you failed at your marihoochie endeavor? BUT! it can be done!, you will have to regulate a few factors very closely.: humidity, light and dark times, wind, temperature, and water. if its too dry in their youd likely need a humidfier, which will add another 200-600 watts.

there is an old dude in my club who is pretty well known who grows a good deal of high quality, renound, mame and shohin bonsai, indoors, under florescent lights.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Skipping a winter will kill temperate trees - well known fact which I'm not going to try and justify to you.
You live in the sub tropics...

How does ANY of this make sense?

Im not disputing that it will most probably be harmful for my tree's as i said i want to satisfy my curiousity and see it with my own eyes.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
the light looks red, but im sure if he has a 900w LED its a full spectrum light, seems to be more red than blue, primiary designed for the flowering stages, either way, what these people are saying is true, you are going the difficult, expensive, not real logical route. sounds like you failed at your marihoochie endeavor? BUT! it can be done!, you will have to regulate a few factors very closely.: humidity, light and dark times, wind, temperature, and water. if its too dry in their youd likely need a humidfier, which will add another 200-600 watts.

there is an old dude in my club who is pretty well known who grows a good deal of high quality, renound, mame and shohin bonsai, indoors, under florescent lights.

Awesome cheers. I was actually quite sucessful in that endeavour. Im sure it could be done. In the past i have increased humidity by leaving trays of water in the bottom of the tent

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I understand but my intention is to see if i can maximise growth to these tree's and then put them into normal dormancy next winter. Maybe do this every second winter. I have always heard about tree's need for rest periods but i havent come across any studies and i would like to push the envelope.

Trying to outsmart nature rarely ends well.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pius lesu Domine translates to "Temperate trees need dormancy, temperate trees need dormancy, temperate trees need dormancy..."

Top Bottom