Bill Valvanis "Dwarf Japanese maple" - any idea what cultivar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You were told it was probably a seedling from a dwarf variety, but you insisted it was some mysterious and magical cultivar from Bill V.

You then talked about naming it yourself which is even more laughable.

Maybe just enjoy it for what it is? (A dwarf japanese maple seedling)

I say Mikecheck auctions off naming rights to his, now, epigenetically unique cultivar.

I may not have the winning bid, but I will collect sweat and tears of rage will as a health inducing tonic.dementia-behavior-management-aggression-anger.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The funny thing is I suggested kotohime because I misread your first post. I thought you had purchased a dwarf variety cultivar and lost the label. I know bill sells kotohime so with that and the fact that it somewhat resembled kotohime I threw out the thought. With that said if it wasn’t specifically sold to you as a specific cultivar then it’s likely just a regular dwarf as already has been indicated. But man what a ride to get here!
What a ride indeed! Quite the progression over 5 pages!
7A121918-4AA5-4701-8735-F78F315E30E9.jpeg

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
but you insisted it was some mysterious and magical cultivar from Bill V.
Do people actually read the words of my posts? Or just assume what I'm saying??

All along I have acknowledged that it MIGHT NOT be anything, and I'm fine with it!! Go back and read my actual words.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I say Mikecheck auctions off naming rights to his, now, epigenetically unique cultivar.

I may not have the winning bid, but I will collect sweat and tears of rage will as a health inducing tonic.View attachment 445634
Even better, I'm going to launch an NFT for this cultivar.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The funny thing is I suggested kotohime because I misread your first post. I thought you had purchased a dwarf variety cultivar and lost the label. I know bill sells kotohime so with that and the fact that it somewhat resembled kotohime I threw out the thought. With that said if it wasn’t specifically sold to you as a specific cultivar then it’s likely just a regular dwarf as already has been indicated. But man what a ride to get here!
I.e. all your fault. ;-)

D

Deleted member 32750

Bill has probably sold thousands of these dwarf seedlings so I’m not sure that there is anything unique to name?

also, please do not use words that you do not understand. It really invalidates any point you are attempting to make.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's not much left to say about this topic, but I do know that if Bill knew a plant was a specific cultivar, it would be labeled as such (and would fetch a considerably higher price than the unnamed dwarf seedlings). Things do get mislabeled so it's possible a known cultivar could end up in that group, though it's unlikely. If it turns out you got a seedling that looks and behaves like kotohime, just enjoy it for what it is. But don't go passing it off as kotohime unless you know for sure.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Doesn't Bill's website answer the question? He sells Koto Hime labeled as such and also sells a dwarf cultivar that isn't specifically named. Looks like you got the unnamed dwarf cultivar. If a name is needed, perhaps just call it a Valavanis dwarf maple Acer Palmatum Valavanisaflora.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ironically, from the product description, this material may be MORE valuable than a typical JM landscape cultivar, because it was specially chosen for characteristics that make it good for bonsai... and was developed for the pre-bonsai market.
Brent has a cultivar that is similar to the one Bill is selling. I will be ordering one as soon as I can set up a shade cloth area, right now I am out of space under my "in-ground" trees.

Acer palmatum (small leaf dwarf) (Momiji), seedling Japanese Maple) The traditional green leaf seedling used extensively for bonsai. These seedlings have much smaller leaves and much closer internodes than the species. Suited for much smaller bonsai, although they are still very vigorous. We source these from Heritage Seedlings.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bill has probably sold thousands of these dwarf seedlings so I’m not sure that there is anything unique to name?

also, please do not use words that you do not understand. It really invalidates any point you are attempting to make.
Epigenetically.

The DNA which expresses itself in response to the environment.

Mikecheck's tree is unique.

I am adding it to my cultivar encyclopedia. I'm leaving yours out because you are not being as kind as you could be.

I might change my mind with an apology though.

👉👈

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And who could ever forget the friends we lost along the way? ;)
Ah, yes. Let’s have a moment of silence for the fake passing of @A. Gorilla in a faux fiery tragedy of his/her/their own wild imagination and performative victimhood, the likes of which will undoubtedly be an inspiration for years to come to generations of “injured” professional soccer players seeking yellow cards for the opposition.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Interesting read, this thread is. OP's tree looks similar to the A. palmatum 'Jade Dragon' I recently acquired. Not saying that it IS a Jade Dragon, just looks similar, so don't roast me! 😆 Definitely not a Shishigashira. I've got a few of those.

Attachments

• jade_dragon01_edit.jpg
    jade_dragon01_edit.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 27
  • jade_dragon02_edit.jpg
    jade_dragon02_edit.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 25

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Interesting read, this thread is. OP's tree looks similar to the A. palmatum 'Jade Dragon' I recently acquired. Not saying that it IS a Jade Dragon, just looks similar, so don't roast me! 😆 Definitely not a Shishigashira. I've got a few of those.
Bro...upload your molecular science diploma.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I nominate this thread as thread of the month........for the rollercoaster ride it took everyone on! 👏👏👏
OH MAN! I missed the entire ride. Where have I been?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom