Binsai growers in Tiwan

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of articles about growers in Tiwan and the tremendous success they have in growing bonsai stock. Apparently their trees are making their way to Europe but I've heard nothjing about these making it into the US. Anyone better informed than me ( should be most of you ).

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
There are some nurseries that are authorized by the Dept. of Agric. to quarantine imported bonsai; I've never researched much further into the matter. I would imagine that the cost would be very high above and beyond the cost of the tree and shipping since someone would have to essentially care for it for, I believe, up to two years.

Good luck

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Thats what I thought. I wonder if any US retailers are importing from Tiwan ?

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm sure someone does...I've tried a couple of times contacting the nurseries that have been in business for several years and recieved nothing but a thunderous silence. You see I'm not sure whether or not they actually have a license to import, or if they actually pick items up after making a special trip-who knows, like I said, no one seems to be talking.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a ficus that I have had in my files for years, that I believe is from taiwan. I am not big on tropicals, however, this is probably the greatest ficus bonsai I have ever seen and probably one of the nicest bonsai, in general, that I have seen.

Rob

Attachments

• b12_copyFicus_Retusa.jpg
    b12_copyFicus_Retusa.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 48

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
I assume many Taiwanese bonsai are tropical species.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Taiwanese have become adept at growing aged looking junipers. Their juniper stock is much sought after by Japanese artists and is becoming pretty well known in Europe.

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/bonsai-f1/cheng-cheng-kung-s-bonsai-school-taiwan-juniper-t924.htm

I don't know of anyone importing this material into the US. I suspect, if there were, trees like the one in the link would top $10,000 each, probably more...The stock is purpose grown for bonsai and is worked in the ground initially...

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
The man is certainly talented, I am curious though if all his trees survive, you can insult a tree only so much and what he does is pretty drastic.

keep it green,
Harry

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Harry it's amazing what you can do to a ficus and have it not blink an eye, last summer I cut off about 6" off the bottom of my nursery canned kingsman ficus( with a reciprocating saw), the nursery pot was about 8" deep, that tells you something, and yes it does live on.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think Harry was talking about Chen Cheng Kung's work on field grown junipers from the link. He removes A LOT of roots...

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I think Harry was talking about Chen Cheng Kung's work on field grown junipers from the link. He removes A LOT of roots...

I'm sorry, I should have quoted your post. Yes I was talking about Mr. Kung's work. I like has carving much better than his foilage work.

keep it green,
Harry

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is astounding work, actually some of the best work I have seen....Also, very well arranged as far as showing all the work...

Also, it seems like when general carving knowledge advice is given, it is recommended that you start with a small shari and over time, you keep carving more and more...Yet, every master who does elaborate carving seems to do it in one sitting..At least it appears that way in books and videos. I believe that maybe the little bit at a time might be in regards to younger stock.

Rob

Top Bottom