Biogold basket size

Fan Tan Fannie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello,

I am going to buy Biogold to fertilize my bonsai trees. Anyone knows what size of the fertilizer basket would fit the pellet? Size M is 3cm diameter. Size S is 2.2 diameter.

Thanks!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No clue...I just bought these. Easy toss away when they are spent. Still undecided if I like the look. But...they work. Many use tea bags. I really wanted to prevent the break down of organics into my substrate since I seen decline in my one satsuki...and upon repot was shocked at the organic matter in the pot. So ...need to address that. So... trying tea bags. Just another option.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CNHBJV7

Fan Tan Fannie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, Gary! I only have 8 or 9 inch bonsai pots. I should use two baskets to hold 4 pellets each and place them on each side of the tree? Or I should place the pellets around the pot/tree?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Gary! I only have 8 or 9 inch bonsai pots. I should use two baskets to hold 4 pellets each and place them on each side of the tree? Or I should place the pellets around the pot/tree?
Doesn't make much difference with a pot that small...The cups just keep the soil surface tidier, they don't affect the fertilizer.

Fan Tan Fannie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you, everyone for your inputs. I decided the fertilizer cups Gary suggested will work the best for my shohin bonsai. I ordered them at the Amazon.com. The teabag option appears to be too big on the small pots. These cups should work fine (one cup on each side of the tree).

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Totally get it. But those baskets won't keep the organic fertilizer from breaking down and going into your substrate. It's open on the bottom. But may prevent a critter from snacking.

My Boston Ivy...I just fold the tea bag in half for smaller pots. ?Use the tie to wrap around and hold in place. Then set on pot surface. That pot isn't quite 4" across the top. Not pretty...but can come off just as easily for photos. But keeps my roots much healthier. ?
IMG_20190430_162307680.jpg

Fan Tan Fannie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Totally get it. But those baskets won't keep the organic fertilizer from breaking down and going into your substrate. It's open on the bottom. But may prevent a critter from snacking.

My Boston Ivy...I just fold the tea bag in half for smaller pots. ?Use the tie to wrap around and hold in place. Then set on pot surface. That pot isn't quite 4" across the top. Not pretty...but can come off just as easily for photos. But keeps my roots much healthier. ?
View attachment 240305
Thank you for explaining the advantage of using teabags vs baskets. I found smaller teabag filter at the Amazon and ordered them. I hope I can successfully cancel the basket order. Thanks, Darlene!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don’t use baskets for fert cakes. Biogold is actually made in a triangle shape so it doesn’t roll off. Never had critter issues with it either, so I don’t go to the extra work, cost, or sacrifice the aesthetics.
You never had it break down in your pots? That was why I went to teabags.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Of course it breaks down in the pots. That’s the whole point. Tea bags are a PITA...and ugly. I repot often enough that drainage isn’t an issue.

mossedmoon

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No clue...I just bought these. Easy toss away when they are spent. Still undecided if I like the look. But...they work. Many use tea bags. I really wanted to prevent the break down of organics into my substrate since I seen decline in my one satsuki...and upon repot was shocked at the organic matter in the pot. So ...need to address that. So... trying tea bags. Just another option.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CNHBJV7
Tea Bags work great! I put 5, 8 or 11 Biogolds per bag and skewer them with a toothpick to keep them in place. I can care less about whether they're asthetically pleasing to the eye, it is however indicative of a professional at work. And they're an easy toss when the Biogold has broken down.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Tea Bags work great! I put 5, 8 or 11 Biogolds per bag and skewer them with a toothpick to keep them in place. I can care less about whether they're asthetically pleasing to the eye, it is however indicative of a professional at work. And they're an easy toss when the Biogold has broken down.
You can also use wire...making a long U shape and anchoring them that way.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Never had critter issues with it either, so I don’t go to the extra work, cost, or sacrifice the aesthetics.

We have a bird around here that loves to see what's under the pellets of Bio Gold. So, anchored teabags were my solution.

Fan Tan Fannie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Finally I received the biogold and the tea bags. I placed about 4 or 5 pellets in the tea bag and tied them to each side of the tree. It works out great. I saw the the tea bags did filter the melted pellets that otherwise would be on the soil mix. I wonder if that' melted actually feeds the trees ....

Attachments

• IMG_20190507_063102576_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190507_063102576_HDR.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20190507_063214792_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190507_063214792_HDR.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20190507_063112725_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190507_063112725_HDR.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20190507_063141573_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190507_063141573_HDR.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 26
D

Deleted member 21616

always loved this quote:

Biogold was made to be used with modern substrates like akadama, and it works well. If you give it to me I will break it into very small particles which I then throw all over the substrate surface of the trees. After one watering it becomes invisible.

Taken from here:

http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/2010/06/feeding-substrate-and-watering-english.html?m=1

i did this on a few trees this year, and left the biogold whole on most others, just to see the difference in terms of it’s impact on ‘clogging’ the soil. I doubt that i will notice any difference, and will likely do what Walter Pall suggests on all my trees in the future

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
always loved this quote:

Biogold was made to be used with modern substrates like akadama, and it works well. If you give it to me I will break it into very small particles which I then throw all over the substrate surface of the trees. After one watering it becomes invisible.

Taken from here:

http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/2010/06/feeding-substrate-and-watering-english.html?m=1

i did this on a few trees this year, and left the biogold whole on most others, just to see the difference in terms of it’s impact on ‘clogging’ the soil. I doubt that i will notice any difference, and will likely do what Walter Pall suggests on all my trees in the future
Had not seen that...interesting take on BioGold.

Top Bottom