Biogold Fert micro nutrients content.

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
Apologies if this question has been answered, I did scroll through and couldn't find an answer.

I am coming to the stage where some of my trees are ready to be going into entirely in-organic substrate, which obviously is inert.

So when it comes to supplying the tree with all of the ingredients it needs for healthy growth is using biogold fert as the only "additive" sufficient? or should I also be looking at fish emulsion+ kelp as an extra additive?

I'm in the UK but please show me whatever you guys use and I'll see if I can find it in my market or a similar alternative.

Cheers!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thats rather difficult to say.
Organic fertilizer composition relies a whole lot on what goes into an animal or plant.
Manure in the summer has a higher mineral content compared to winter, because grazing from a pasture differs from feeding from a stockpile.
To my knowledge there is no organic nutrient producer that knows the contents exactly; they test various batches and slap an average on the label at best.

I would check your plants, especially deciduous plants, and try to read their leaves. Based on that you can see if there are any blockades or shortages that you can act on.
I have a bottle of micro nutrients on hand at all times, and I dose that at least twice a year; once just before or during the spring flush, and once in the middle of summer. Both as a liquid in the pot as well as a foliar spray.
It can't hurt to use a little, but it can be trouble if you use too much.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bio-Gold will go a long way on its own. You’ll see noticeable results from the Bio-Gold. It is great stuff.

I also use fish-seaweed liquid. I can’t say that I’ve seen any noticeable difference since adding it, but my trees are very healthy so the system seems to be working just fine 😬

Short Answer: You’ll be fine with just Biogold but the fish/seaweed is a nice compliment.

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Manure in the summer has a higher mineral content compared to winter, because grazing from a pasture differs from feeding from a stockpile.
In the U.S.A. the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (the federal agency that regulates the labeling on food items) has rules requiring most prepared food to have nutritional values printed on that item's label. (Obviously plant fertilizer is not included under the FDA's regulatory jurisdiction.) With food such as dairy or meat, companies, ranches, and dairy farms have solved the problem you stated (animals eating different foods depending on the season) and figured out a way to come up with "the" (singular) amount of nutrients found in a serving of milk or cut of meat. I'm sure there has to be a way to find the average (one standard set of) nutritional values for BioGold... a way that those in the know already know how to do because they are doing it with food. Maybe it would cost a lot to find someone like this to do it in their lab?

I'd be interested to know exactly (i.e. on average) how much calcium, magnesium, iron, etc. is found in one serving of BioGold. In fact I think it has already been done -- just looking at the back on my BioGold Original bag. It would just take someone who can read Japanese to translate maybe. (I see something that looks very similar to the U.S. nutritional value chart with numbers in the second and third columns all the way down.)

Attachments

• IMG_3196.jpg
    IMG_3196.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks @Wires_Guy_wires That's good to know, I thought that may be the case.

What do you use? fish emulsion or something else?
It's a store bought product manufactured by Pokon. It used to be available in the UK.
It contains all trace elements in a chemically dissolved and readily availabe form.

But I'm using kelp extracts on the side, as well as some other super-complete-allround soluble nutrients to tackle all issues at once (pH, Blockages, shortages, trace elements). The latter is produced by pokon as well, but I know some cannabis nutrient suppliers (and regular garden store nutes) get pretty close to the same formula. Not organic, but I'd rather solve an issue than skimp along for a year risking the health of a plant.

I hear fish emulsion is good stuff. But I'm not going there. I can smell peoples fabric softener an hour after they left a room. Rotten fish for a couple weeks?! No thanks!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In the U.S.A. the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (the federal agency that regulates the labeling on food items) has rules requiring most prepared food to have nutritional values printed on that item's label. (Obviously plant fertilizer is not included under the FDA's regulatory jurisdiction.) With food such as dairy or meat, companies, ranches, and dairy farms have solved the problem you stated (animals eating different foods depending on the season) and figured out a way to come up with "the" (singular) amount of nutrients found in a serving of milk or cut of meat. I'm sure there has to be a way to find the average (one standard set of) nutritional values for BioGold... a way that those in the know already know how to do because they are doing it with food. Maybe it would cost a lot to find someone like this to do it in their lab?

I'd be interested to know exactly (i.e. on average) how much calcium, magnesium, iron, etc. is found in one serving of BioGold. In fact I think it has already been done -- just looking at the back on my BioGold Original bag. It would just take someone who can read Japanese to translate maybe. (I see something that looks very similar to the U.S. nutritional value chart with numbers in the second and third columns all the way down.)
Ryan Neil has sent it all for analysis. I think he still has a report somewhere.

I've done these tests as well on various food stuff and fertilizers, it's part of the highschool and uni chemistry curriculum over here. Nutrient values, to my knowledge at least, are based on random samples throughout the year and they can very well be off by a huge amount. These rules, legislations and laws change almost daily (and locally too!) due to pressure from the industry. Only in highly processed foods those values are somewhat stable. I think if you'd check those legislations for yourself, you'd find that there's an insane fluctuation possible - and allowed.

If you'd burn the top part of a box of cereal to dust, it'll yield a couple micrograms of iron. If you burn the same weight of cereal from the bottom of the carton, you'll find milligrams. That's a tenfold difference in a box. As long as the average is on the label, it's all good in some places.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's a store bought product manufactured by Pokon. It used to be available in the UK.
It contains all trace elements in a chemically dissolved and readily availabe form.

But I'm using kelp extracts on the side, as well as some other super-complete-allround soluble nutrients to tackle all issues at once (pH, Blockages, shortages, trace elements). The latter is produced by pokon as well, but I know some cannabis nutrient suppliers (and regular garden store nutes) get pretty close to the same formula. Not organic, but I'd rather solve an issue than skimp along for a year risking the health of a plant.

I hear fish emulsion is good stuff. But I'm not going there. I can smell peoples fabric softener an hour after they left a room. Rotten fish for a couple weeks?! No thanks!

Eh, the smell only lasts for a day or two in my experience 🤪

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
Picked some up today so I'll get back to you on that one 😂

Is the Pokon chemical or organic based?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Looks like it’s a usage guide rather than a chemical analysis.

Attachments

• AF3C7CD6-6947-4CC6-94AA-2CB67F489C92.jpeg
    AF3C7CD6-6947-4CC6-94AA-2CB67F489C92.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 34

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For gads sake, only buy products in a language you can read.

Don't fall for the myth that because it is written in Japanese, it must be better for the plants.

Kelp products tend to be pretty good in providing a range of micro-nutrients, but buy product labelled in a language you can read, and read the labels.

If you are growing using only organic fertilizer you will always have issues with not getting enough nitrogen. It is the nature of organic gardening, nitrogen will tend to be your limiting nutrient. But for bonsai this is not that big a problem. Look for the organic source your local organic vegetable growers use for nitrogen. In southern USA it is sugarcane bagasse, in Japan it is rapeseed cake, various animal manures can be used, fish emulsion, Composted grass, hay etc can work though they tend to be lower nitrogen.

Check out your local organic gardening scene and read labels.

Top Bottom