BIRCH (BETULA KOTULAE)

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am sure you know this, but for anyone else reading: one way to reduce the likelihood of dieback is to only prune when the tree is in active growth, and not back into bare wood - always leave a couple of buds/leaves for the tree to regrow from, or it will drop the branch.

Beautiful tree, congratulations.
Sound advice.

I've even had success getting smaller birch to back bud on the trunk after a trunk chop during the growing season. Not consistently but, I think I caught it right before a second push and there were visible signs of previously failed small branches with latent buds. I wouldn't recommended it, I was just pushing some trees to see what I could potentially get away with.
They are certainly a beautiful but elusive species. Not sure if you have already, but would suggest to listen to Mirai's podcast with Dennis Vojtilla. He talks about his method of dealing with birch. He has one of the very best birch bonsai I have seen anywhere.
Sorry, I misspoke when I said species. We have several species of birch and various sub species up here but afaik not silver birch. I just get excited when I see a birch in a pot.

Thanks, I'll have to find that podcast, Birch is up there near the top of my list of trees to tame.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's so rare to see a Betula species that is a "good" bonsai, and yours is just beautiful... ✌️

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's so rare to see a Betula species that is a "good" bonsai, and yours is just beautiful... ✌️

Thanks Alain. Most of the credit here is to be given to Mr. Eric Schrader for having the patience to grow this tree for 20 years with excellent taper and a rather natural overall structure. Like I mentioned before, I personally would not have sold this particular tree!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Fall update:

Unlike last, this year I noticed very little dieback, almost none as the tree went into dormancy. The only major difference is this year I did only two cutbacks, one post spring hardening in early June and the second in late July. This second flush was left untouched up until the leaves dropped. Not sure whether this proved to be a significant factor or a combination of things that aided the retention of secondary branching and smaller twigs. In any case, I continue to study the tree carefully, making necessary adjustments as needed. Next spring it will be repotted once again as the pot looks to be full of fine roots.

IMG_2204-Recovered.jpg

IMG_2478-Recovered.jpg

IMG_2444-Recovered.jpg

IMG_2449-Recovered.jpg

IMG_2462-Recovered.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Amazing @MACH5 to say the least . Following this thread for the inception and amazing details shared on this species .

Couple of questions if I may :-

1. Why kiryu and not something like black lava as kiryu is similar in function to black lava right ? Is it mostly to understand when the soil dries up for watering purpose ?
Also any reason why no Hyuga or pumice in the soil mix ?

2. How do you handle birch borers problem ? Any preventive measures you take ?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is the best example of birch I’ve seen, will the leaves reduce in size much?

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Following. What a great tree.

My only thought for your lack of significant dieback this year is if it handles somewhat similar to a sweetgum- pruning those terminal buds results in the entire branch dying, but so does leaving the top unchecked, as they will drop lower branches in favor of a strong apex. I let them leaf out, harden, then cut hard, but then let them grow out all year. I've done this now without significant dieback.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Amazing @MACH5 to say the least . Following this thread for the inception and amazing details shared on this species .

Couple of questions if I may :-

1. Why kiryu and not something like black lava as kiryu is similar in function to black lava right ? Is it mostly to understand when the soil dries up for watering purpose ?
Also any reason why no Hyuga or pumice in the soil mix ?
hite
2. How do you handle birch borers problem ? Any preventive measures you take ?

Kiryu is similar to pumice. I like to mix it with akadama to keep my soil from retaining too much water and helps keep it loose and open as the akadama breaks down and compacts. I prefer it to pumice because its tan color is more aesthetically pleasing (even darker when wet). Pumice is bright white and to me sometimes looks like aquarium gravel. I do however use pumice for those trees that are in development. It is cheaper than kiryu.

Sorry, I cannot comment on borers as I have never seen them in any of my trees.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sergio, did you wire it for the winter? Are you changing your strategy for winter wiring?

Hi Gary. Yes I did. Did a change my strategy? Yes and no? No, as it relates to Japanese maples. I still do the heavy wiring work if needed in late winter/early spring. In terms of other species, I have been experimenting with my timing. Last year I wired this birch around the same time and saw no adverse results from it. This wiring timing may be species specific? I do know that a full on wiring job on Japanese maples in the fall is asking for trouble. With that said, I also think that in warmer areas, this timing may not be as critical and perfectly fine to wire them now.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is the best example of birch I’ve seen, will the leaves reduce in size much?

Thank you! The leaves can be reduced in size at least somewhat. I suspect that as it gets more ramified the leaves will naturally reduce in size.

I do think that Dennis Vojtilla's twin trunk birch is currently the best of its kind certainly in the US. Dennis has done a remarkable job recreating a birch in miniature. It doesn't look like a bonsai, it looks like a tree! It is also true that his tree is at least 20 years ahead of this one.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Following. What a great tree.

My only thought for your lack of significant dieback this year is if it handles somewhat similar to a sweetgum- pruning those terminal buds results in the entire branch dying, but so does leaving the top unchecked, as they will drop lower branches in favor of a strong apex. I let them leaf out, harden, then cut hard, but then let them grow out all year. I've done this now without significant dieback.

Thank you, good to know! This sounds very much how I went about it this year.

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a great tree. It also gives hope as I am finding it to land on ID'S for my birches.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mid summer update with a couple of observations on birch. As I have been carefully studying this tree, I believe to increase your success rates, feeding heavily and allowed to flush out without pinching. After shoots have extended to 4 or 5 (or more) leaves, then cut back to one or two. I believe that part of the secret is keeping the tree in a heightened metabolic state. Pinching technique, as effective as it is on species like maples, it is not advisable for birch. I would recommend not to pinch as it will weaken them eventually leading to die back. Last year and all the way thru winter I experienced next to zero dieback. This season I am following the same strategy from last year. We will see as I am still very much in learning mode with this elusive species.

Another point that my assistant Sal (@Tidal Bonsai) brought up was the fact that this tree was grown from seed. Dennis Vojtilla's reports similar results on his beautiful birch and that tree was from nursery stock. Most birch are collected specimens and do wonder whether that may play a big factor in how the tree performs as a bonsai? Food for thought.

This tree is going strong and on its sixth consecutive flush and still going!

IMG_3775 copy.jpg

IMG_3799 copy.jpg

IMG_3754 copy.jpg

IMG_3756 copy.jpg

IMG_3753 copy.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful birch, Sir! The bark is looking beautiful! I never see birch as bonsai. The only ones I’ve ever seen are the examples that Greenwood bonsai has. The second tree is my favorite

Thanks! Thus far it has been an extremely responsive tree which makes the whole process of developing it as a bonsai that much more pleasurable. Yes, those birch trees at Greenwood are quite nice! They definitely are more common in the European bonsai scene.

I saw a few at the last Nationals. One was a huge forest and a few other smaller trees were at the sales area. I think as people learn to work with this species, we will likely see more in the future.

Top Bottom