Birch or Elm?

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since I've had this tree I've thought it was a type of birch. Looking at it today I'm not certain. The leaf is very elm-like, but the bark is flakey like a birch and there's no knobbyness on the branches like most elm.

Can anyone tell from the crappy pics what this tree is? Thanks for looking, Rick

Attachments

• trees 2014 122.jpg
    trees 2014 122.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 66
  • trees 2014 123.jpg
    trees 2014 123.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 67
  • trees 2014 124.jpg
    trees 2014 124.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 57
  • trees 2014 128.jpg
    trees 2014 128.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 60
  • trees 2014 125.jpg
    trees 2014 125.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 58

johng

Omono
Reaction score
based on the leaf shape and flakey/papery bark I strongly suspect this is a birch. I am no expert though...especially with western species.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't recall any catkins this spring, but I just cut the grass around it and got a good look at it. It was poorly when I got it a few years back and it has struggled the past couple of seasons. I thought I'd lost her, but it looks like shes got a good bite this year and I'm seeing alot of new shoots and robust foliage.

I have three other birch and none have this short, dull green leaf. They all have shiney greens, longer fingers and more pronounced serration. They also have the characteristic white birch bark. Could this be a variety of River Birch (Betula nigra)?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
River Birch are common here and I am pretty certain it is. I not certain what types are common there but I would not doubt it. The bark on those gets pretty "wild" and if it were mine it would be in a box and positioned as wanted in a pot in the future. In my book that is a good find. How tall and wide is it?

Grimmy

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this tree from a nursery boneyard. It was broken, leafless and discarded and I could have it if I thought I could do something with it. I saw some life in it and planted it out in open ground for recovery.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a birch to me and it has a pretty nice trunk IMO.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do you think it's too late to lift it, Grimmy?

In our area things are moving real slow - Spring is 3 weeks behind. If I had the chance I would take it now, not next week. They grow nice in our region and I suspect with a decent pull it will do well. There is never a perfect time in this region as it changes so often but on this one I would pull it ASAP or wait until next Spring.

Grimmy

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the id and advice, Grimmy. I am in SW Oregon and our season is quite advanced, even my oaks are leafed out. The pics are only a few days ago. Should birch be dug when they are in leaf?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the id and advice, Grimmy. I am in SW Oregon and our season is quite advanced, even my oaks are leafed out. The pics are only a few days ago. Should birch be dug when they are in leaf?

Not unless it is an emergency - I would recommend Spring as well. Our seasons are quite different indeed.

Grimmy

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, that's kind of what I figured, but didn't know if you realized how advanced my season is. I'd like to give it another season in the garden because this is the first season its really shown a good start. Last season we had bad smoke from forest fires and it damaged alot of leaves. Thanks for all the help, Rick

Last edited:
Top Bottom