Birch - what next?

Samson

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I collected this birch in April, seems like it is doing ok. But I dont like all those shoots from the bottom. Should I take them off so the others growing higher will get stronger? Also I am wondering if by doing it, will the tree stop shooting and push only what I leave on?
There are actually two trees, one is double (middle and right trunk) and bent one on left is separate tree..

IMG_20200603_130107_154.jpg
Thanks for advice.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Yes, remove the low shoots, at once.
When stressed (e.g. due to the top being cut), birch will put out sucker shoots from around the base. The main trunk then often dies, and the new sucker shoots take over. You can see this in the woods, where there'll be stumps surrounded by a ring of new smaller trunks.
Don't prune the top growth at all this year, just let it grow.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
IMO, I would get rid of the bent, single truck/tree. I would assume that you included it for a threesome, but it looks wrong with the other two. Maybe the way the picture is taken.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
the left trunk only looks 'wrong' because its crossing the middle trunk. i wouldnt remove it, i would keep them as a three/multitrunk. you have a thicker main and two younger side trunks. the left trunk can be cut back at some point so it doesnt cross. in the meantime follow Tom's advice.

Samson

Sapling
Reaction score
I see what you mean guys, but it is not a best picture, in real it is not that bad with a crossing one ( i hope). And as BobbyLane mentioned - i can cut it back any time if needed. They seems too long anyway (all three) dont you think? Maybe because no leaves and branches just sticks now.. I will take more (better) pictures when rain stops...

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also can simply be wired to give more interesting aspect;).

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Appears to be no leaves on the upper half of that crossing trunk. It may already have died back so leave at least 1 bunch of leaves on there.
Birch seem to die back if pruned in winter. You can see that where all the small branches here have died and new shoots growing from replacement buds at the bases. I have been told to only prune birch when they are actively growing to avoid this.

Triple trunk is possible with this tree. If that doesn't work out it is simple to reduce to twin or single but harder to add trunks if they have been removed.

Samson

Sapling
Reaction score
It is not visible on photo but crossing trunk has some green on the very end (see picture), so I am hoping it will be ok and some shoots will wake up.
That is exactly my strategy - if triple doesn t work still can be nice double. Better to have more cards to play with..
But definitely they need to get shorter. Right?
IMG_20200604_115759_862.jpg
@Potawatomi13 - not sure what you want to wire there..

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Wire that crossing trunk out to the left so it complements the main trunk rather than visually fighting it.

Great that the trunk has some green at the tip. I can only see the shoot on the right trunk in front.
Right trunk is probably reasonable height to go with the main trunk. Left trunk is thinner so probably should be a bit shorter. Wait for it to recover properly and you can see any new shoots before chopping though.
You can get rid of really low shoots that are not required any time especially to help the trunks grow a bit.

Samson

Sapling
Reaction score
Quick update, seems like all trunks will survive. But also seems like a double trunk and added single one are somehow different. Single has bigger leaves,lighter colour and it kind of grows better. Could be different species? Both were collected at same location, just meters from each other.
IMG_20200703_175910_474.jpgIMG_20200703_175958_942.jpgIMG_20200703_180113_935.jpg
Should I just let it grow until next year or is there something to do with it now?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wire that crossing trunk out to the left so it complements the main trunk rather than visually fighting it.

Believe this was same personal thought. However now seeing tree better wonder if 3rd trunk can be bent? Perhaps regrown from many shoots at elbow and when strong new leader present cut off above elbow:confused:? Examine smaller leaves of "different" tree compared to main tree and see if truly different. May be just younger/more energetic sprout;).

Samson

Sapling
Reaction score
Unfortunateluly it can not be bent, all three are too thick. Is it such a problem that it is crossing main trunk? If the front is with main trunk infront? (First photo) I was planing to cut it shorter anyways, not sure if to the spot where new shoots are, seems too short to me. Also second trunk could use some cut back.
I tried to take better pictures ( sorry for
quality at lower half) for better perspective.
Today I moved it to new place, because looks like even late afternoon (5pm)sun still does some damage to leaves. I placed it under big trees, no direct sun at all.

IMG_20200704_124624.jpgIMG_20200704_124646.jpgIMG_20200704_130147_343.jpgIMG_20200704_130211_893.jpgIMG_20200704_130003_697.jpg

Last edited:

Samson

Sapling
Reaction score
I have sad news, one trunk looks like dying. Anyone has idea what could be reason? It was doing great so far.
I put some chicken pellets so I can only think if It wasnt too much. But that would efect all of them ...Here are som pics:

IMG_20200817_184707.jpg IMG_20200817_184555.jpg

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don't think that is correct thinking that what you do to all three, will affect all three the same.

Top Bottom