BIRDS! Advice Please

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey everyone, I'm having an issue with birds digging up roots and picking fertilizer out from the soil of my bonsai. Specifically Pigeons and Robins. . I tried using Bonide Repel All spray but that only added a smelly backyard to the problem. Didn't seem to phase the birds. Any Advice?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Birds started leaving my stuff alone when I switched back to liquid ferts. For trees I wanted to keep organic I switched over to a 9:1 cottonseed meal kelp mix in teabags and nothing likes those.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're using organic or other pellet form fertilizers, animals are going to be a problem. Birds also like to root around in bonsai soil looking for insects/worms. Best thing to do is cover the pot surface with wire of some sort, like chicken wire, or tighter meshed wire. "Scare" methods --pie pans, smelly crap, etc.--will work for about ten minutes, until the birds realize that the scarecrow/whatever isn't really going to hurt them...

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Had the same problem. I put rocks on top of the soil. They have to be largish rocks, about golf ball size so they can't move them out of the way. Solved the problem.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I had a similar problem because a puddle formed right beneath my trees. Y made so that water would not stay there and they left. Might that be your problem?
I read leaving a bird feeder far but not so far from your tress helps too.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had a similar problem because a puddle formed right beneath my trees. Y made so that water would not stay there and they left. Might that be your problem?
I read leaving a bird feeder far but not so far from your tress helps too.
My neighbor feeds the terrible vicious marauding flying pigs. They bring their booty and sit on my trees, shit, probably fart, and leave sunflower and Canada Thistle seed parts to grow out of my pots. I love birds, but it takes a bunch to make a whole meal...

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Air rifle just make sure it’s quiet and accurate.
One to the head and most are dead.
Coyotes gotta eat too.
More than likely you are breaking a federal law every time you shoot one of your native birds. These laws are housed in the department of interior if you care to search for them. Wise up, get a bird feeder, chill the fuck out.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
A dog or a cat will usually keep birds away. Though there was a crow, with a single white feather in it's right wing that would perch just out of reach of my dog and tease the dog mercilessly. It went on for 3 summers. I thought it funny, I swear the year the crow didn't come back the dog was lonely.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey everyone, I'm having an issue with birds digging up roots and picking fertilizer out from the soil of my bonsai. Specifically Pigeons and Robins. . I tried using Bonide Repel All spray but that only added a smelly backyard to the problem. Didn't seem to phase the birds. Any Advice?
Use Neem Meal as the base for your organic fertiliser, we have tons of birds throughout our acreage and they leave the bonsai alone. They do take an amazing amount of insects daily!

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hung one of these from a wire above my benches, I have since not seen a single bird on any of my trees underneath it!!
and occasionally it's shadow scares the shit out of me as it blows about. 🦅😲

I rigged it on much sturdier heavy test fishing line and put a swivel in there as well.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I hung one of these from a wire above my benches, I have since not seen a single bird on any of my trees underneath it!!
and occasionally it's shadow scares the shit out of me as it blows about. 🦅😲

I rigged it on much sturdier heavy test fishing line and put a swivel in there as well.
that’s rad. any thoughts of naming it!!?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How about Henry Hawk? I hadn't really thought about naming him, but hell why not.

View attachment 251651
Hooo! Get outta here damn scoundrels!!!!!! Salute!

There’s a plastic heron to keep the coy numbers steady up at one of the ponds around, never see them (wading birds) there despite everywhere. .

I’ve had bird problems with birds since recent move, but nothing compared to squirrel and chipmunk. Moss is indeed good and great indicator. DE may also be good for snails and slugs but also have worms consistently -goodness

Moss is good, can at least tell what they’re targeting.

Let HH procreate @ Moke! Swivel...thanks man
Birds are..

Top Bottom