Birds Nest and Branch Pot

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice work, but I cannot help to think that it needs is a little birdie with her bonsai inside.
It is just weird for me trying to picture a tree in a birds nest - strange image.

.... a spruce maybe :confused:

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
Awesome work Stacy. Is this for a small tree or accent? Or either? For whichever you saw a future for, what tree of plants did you envision in it?

I am not too artistically abled so am awed by the detail. Won't this inner detail be a problem with roots growing into nooks and crannies?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Very creative. Detail on the 'wood' is great.
Is this done in clay or some kind of resin? Painted or glazed?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome work, Stacey!

The nest looks more like a deformed basket than a nest, at least it does to me. Maybe the birds where you live are more "weavers" that the birds around here. Our birds make nests that are more circular:

image.jpeg

But, I think your piece is spectacular.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate them!

This pot was part of an experiment of trying out some new ideas of building a free form structure, within the design of the pot.

I am interested in creating some pots with relief details that get away from having a very cumbersome and heavy pot feel. So, I am exploring... After the pot I created for my Tea that will be going up to Nationals, it started me thinking of trying to figure out a path forward where I could somehow combine the idea of a pot and stand into one.
I also like the idea of creating a rock pot type planting... but where I would not have to incorporate a whole Rock into the design, but perhaps instead a portion, in more of a deconstructed manner.

This particular pot came around after construction of the frame... I had planned to take it in another route, but I stood back and looked at it and the first thing I thought of was a bird's nest in some branches... so I went with it.

Now, I understand for some why would you plant a tree in a bird's nest? And what would you put in it? My only answer for this is that you would not believe some of the requests I get for work people want me to do... So, why not? Someone, I am sure will find a use for it, or perhaps it will spark an idea for something different they would like to do and never thought was possible, if they had not seen this pot? Who knows?

The point being, that yeah... perhaps this is not a design for everyone... but, it does begin to at least examine what can be done. I have been kicking around the idea of creating a water planting pot for my bald cypress. .. So, I need a vessel to hold the water and tree. Instead of just having a traditional pot... what of I created one that is representative of what one might find below the water line of an old lake? With old dead trees, sticks, moss, weeds, etc...
Stepping stones...
Thanks!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sawgrass,

Someone on Facebook posted a cool pot carved to look like a rectangle basket weave, but had a crab that appeared to be digging it's way either in or out of the pot... Really cool.

I'm sure you could do some thing like that...

(I see a lot of pots with the crab motif. I don't understand the crab thing... You got a clue? Crabs seem to be popular!)

Reaction score
Sawgrass,

Someone on Facebook posted a cool pot carved to look like a rectangle basket weave, but had a crab that appeared to be digging it's way either in or out of the pot... Really cool.

I'm sure you could do some thing like that...

(I see a lot of pots with the crab motif. I don't understand the crab thing... You got a clue? Crabs seem to be popular!)
I know exactly the pot you are referring too...
I am friends with who made it and it showed up in my feed... would have to go back and look for it.

The crabs I know we're a hot item coming out of Japan... I have seen so many as well. Often, I think just like everything, there are trends and everyone wants one, until that is of course everyone has one! And then it's like old news and no one wants one... Remember the black and red fire crumpled pots that were hot about 10 years ago. .. then there is the drop glazed pots still making their way around.

Right now, just concentrating with my pots on how to accomplish a feel that looks like it can defy gravity. .. so mainly trying to do some smaller pots that toy with this notion.

Eventually as I mentioned, I would like to do some that have a very rock face, mountain type planting. Problem with doing these is figuring out a really cool way to do them, where they don't look bulky and yet at the same time are able to hold a tree.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

It is pretty cool looking! Could you explain the process you used to make it, how the clay was hardened to make it frost/ weather resistant? Is it the standard high fired clay or some other composite? Thx

I saw it listed on FB- certainly unique and not like anything I have seen for sale before!

Reaction score
Sawgrass, you are proving once again what a great artist you are. Always interesting stuff.
Did you ever finish that "cliff dweller" thing that began as a guessing game?
CW
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Never did finish it... the tree I had planned on putting in it I decided to go a different route with... so, for the moment, it just got put aside.

Reaction score
It is pretty cool looking! Could you explain the process you used to make it, how the clay was hardened to make it frost/ weather resistant? Is it the standard high fired clay or some other composite? Thx

I saw it listed on FB- certainly unique and not like anything I have seen for sale before!
Thanks for the reply!
The clay used is a polymer clay. Which is more of a plastic type clay. It is not fire to a temperature of a high fired clay. So, might have to be protected against very severe weather conditions.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

In Chinese Culture -

"The Crab signifies prosperity, success and high status in Chinese symbolism because the Chinese word referring to its shell is a pun on the term used for the highest score a candidate can make on the Chinese Imperial Examinations (first, or jia). Two crabs represent the first and second scores of the Examinations."

Grimmy

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
The legs extend out a bit. Any reinforcement? Any idea how much weight the pot can support? Sorry, I'm married to an engineer. Through osmosis, she gets me thinking of these things. Very unique and creative btw.

Reaction score
The legs extend out a bit. Any reinforcement? Any idea how much weight the pot can support? Sorry, I'm married to an engineer. Through osmosis, she gets me thinking of these things. Very unique and creative btw.
I understand, being the son of an Architect, who grew up in my father's own Architectural firm, I have learned over the years to come to love design, as well as structural engineering.

I appreciate the question, for it reflects alot of my reasoning for using the material I have choosen to use in the design of the pot. These are made first with a metal substructure, and then the clay is wrapped around it. So, super strong... and I would not be able to accomplish this with normal clay.

Top Bottom