Birds Nest Spruce?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone have experience with this species for Bonsai. Bjorn worked on one for a client in the attached picture and it has inspired me to start searching some landscapes we work on. I have not heard good things about Alberta Spruce and I am hoping this species works better. I am used to looking for Taxus but BNS is common around here as well.

Attachments

• IMG_9893.JPG
    IMG_9893.JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 71

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Both species are hard to find good specimens, at least in my area - but with time and effort both can be great bonsai. If you can find one then you can treat it just like any other spruce, just tailor it to the unique growth of each cultivar.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bird's nest is a common landscape plant in my area. With its short needles, I think it is well suited to bonsai.

I'm now in the process of chasing the foliage back on one I dug from my mother-in-law's yard. IMHO, get one if you find one with a nice fat trunk (though you may want to get one or more for your landscape that you can 'harvest' for bonsai in 10 years or so).

2017-06-07 16.07.23.jpg

I prefer not to pinch the foliage, but instead to wait until buds are clearly evident on the new growth. I do this simply because no remaining bud = dead stem (after the needles reach their life limit in about two more years); IOW, trim to a bud.

btw, the same is true of dwarf Alberta, but it is so much work and the benefits so limited.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have one that's doing well...early stages.
Great species I'd say.
Needles on mine are like 3/16".
I don't have any pics right now...
I'll take a few later.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here's mine....
In a ceramic flower pot out front...
All my trees are out back on the deck, except for this one, I leave out front....why?....not sure why...I think I was short on bench space on the deck...
This is also one that I gave no winter protection to at all last season, which was the first year I had the tree...
I cut it back hard last summer to the main branches you see, but I left those branches alone until this spring.
Once the new growth came in and it was quite bushy, I cut each branch back as far as I could, safely.
Since the cutting in spring, it opened up many dormant buds and is still growing strong.
IMAG3574.jpg IMAG3575.jpg IMAG3576.jpg IMAG3577.jpg IMAG3578.jpg

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's one I've had for several years. It came from nursery stock, ForestFarm I believe. It was unusual for nursery stock, most that you find are sheared into tight buns, which makes for nice hedges, but are terrible for bonsai. This one had a nice fat trunk with movement. I snapped it up on sight! I've only taken a few limbs and thinned a few branches to bring it to this shape. It's got a nice windblown feel, but could also go informal upright with ease.IMG_20170816_160314666_HDR.jpg

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's one I've had for several years. It came from nursery stock, ForestFarm I believe. It was unusual for nursery stock, most that you find are sheared into tight buns, which makes for nice hedges, but are terrible for bonsai. This one had a nice fat trunk with movement. I snapped it up on sight! I've only taken a few limbs and thinned a few branches to bring it to this shape. It's got a nice windblown feel, but could also go informal upright with ease.View attachment 157062

Top Bottom