Bird's nest spruce

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was shooting the breeze at a nursery this morning and picked this one up for 10 bucks. Conifers give me headaches but for the price I figured what the heck, it'll be a lesson in what not to do if nothing else. Probably took way too much off, time will tell. It'd been potted up recently so it's going to have to suffer in the nursery soil till spring.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think you have the start of a real nice tree. Try rotating it 90 degrees to the right, I think you will find this a good front. Again don't do anything till next year. Don't worry about the nursery soil it will be alright. Suggestion: Stop thinking you cannot do anything with conifers and start believing that you can. You have a couple of nice beginnings, let's be positive and keep them progressing.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking similarly about the planting angle but I'd done enough butchering so I rotated the tree approximately 30 degrees right of it's original orientation, gave it a kiss, and called it good for now.

I don't have a lucid, analytical, in depth response to your reply Vance since I've spent the last 6 hours or so at the bar and at after-bar activities however I feel it's important to say something. If I get too stupid I'll edit it later.

I doubt that "you guys"(insert knowledgeable bonsai person's name who supports us noobs. I won't specify names since there's so many I'd forget to name someone important) understand how much your feedback means to someone in the same boat I'm in.

I've found zero local bonsai people. I've found myself actually trying to help others interested in the art which is a joke because I only know enough to realize I have a ton to learn. I give them Brent's website, my phone number, and that's about the best I can do for now.

However I'm absolutely obsessed with these lovely little trees and keep trying to learn something. Obviously it's going to get frustrating. Getting a response like Vance's makes me all silly sentimental so I'd just like to thank all of you who help us new guys out.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I was thinking similarly about the planting angle but I'd done enough butchering so I rotated the tree approximately 30 degrees right of it's original orientation, gave it a kiss, and called it good for now.

I don't have a lucid, analytical, in depth response to your reply Vance since I've spent the last 6 hours or so at the bar and at after-bar activities however I feel it's important to say something. If I get too stupid I'll edit it later.

I doubt that "you guys"(insert knowledgeable bonsai person's name who supports us noobs. I won't specify names since there's so many I'd forget to name someone important) understand how much your feedback means to someone in the same boat I'm in.

I've found zero local bonsai people. I've found myself actually trying to help others interested in the art which is a joke because I only know enough to realize I have a ton to learn. I give them Brent's website, my phone number, and that's about the best I can do for now.

However I'm absolutely obsessed with these lovely little trees and keep trying to learn something. Obviously it's going to get frustrating. Getting a response like Vance's makes me all silly sentimental so I'd just like to thank all of you who help us new guys out.

There used to be a pretty active club in your area and there are some good people in it. My ability to remember names is my one big shame in life or I would point you in their direction.

Reaction score
USDA Zone

How far are you from Des Moines? There is a small collection of very old (and some very nice) trees at the Des Moines Botanical garden. You can see my photos (such as they are) here. They are maintained by the local bonsai society.

Many societies feel they have to hide from the world, for some reason. I find that those clubs are usually best left unbothered. Tolerate them at best, and if they bring in someone excellent for a weekend, take advantage of it.

Good luck with your tree, and if you need anything, I am about 45 minutes southwest of Kansas City.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
http://www.iabonsai.org/index.html meets in Des Moines which is 2 1/2 to 3 hours away. Not too bad a haul but they meet during the week normally and that's not compatible with work. I definitely missed out earlier in the year though when they had Michael Hagedorn down for a weekend in April doing a Shimpaku workshop.

They're having a fall show on Oct 6 and 7 which I'm going to try and get more information on.

If I ever knew there was a bonsai exhibit in Des Moines I must've forgotten about it. That's a must see. A ginkgo that's been in training for 142 years?! Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin.

Chris I'd like to take you up on that offer in the spring. No matter how much I read on JBP it won't all process. I think it's going to be something I have to actually see before it sinks in. I've always had a somewhat reversed learning process and need to at least partially understand why something works before "how-to" makes sense to me. Besides, it'd be an honor to meet you.

Top Bottom