Birthday maples (palmatum)

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Today is my 30th birthday so I celebrated by taking a day off of working and hitting Tröegs brewery and of course nature’s way nursery. The material there is so reasonably priced. At around $100 each I had to pick up these two green JMs. The first one has 2” trunk and second one is 1.75”. The roots are ehh but not a lost cause. They will fill space on the bench while my cuttings mature into more promising pieces. No clue on direction yet, going to spend a few months getting to know the trees before I make any moves. Ideas are welcome. Using this thread as a place to track their progress until sold or replaced by better trees.

Attachments

• 54BCDEA4-2F39-4295-80D3-2A7EBA1E7150.jpeg
    54BCDEA4-2F39-4295-80D3-2A7EBA1E7150.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 3852DA9F-0431-4CDD-AB2B-163D24709EF2.jpeg
    3852DA9F-0431-4CDD-AB2B-163D24709EF2.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 127

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Happy Birthday🎂 A nursery and a brewery, sounds like a pretty good day to me!

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice trees, i been meaning to head out to nature’s wayfor a while now. Maybe next spring. With the branches being so one sided on the 2nd tree it might lend itself to a windswept look nicly?

Reactions: GGB

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Happy Birthday!!! Sounds like a great day!🎂🎂🎂

Chriscenzo21

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Happy 30th! Hopefully you can get an Eagles W tonight to keep your celebrations going. Nice looking trees, I need to make my way out the Nature's Way one of these weekends.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Happy 30th!!

Any idea what the root bases look like? It will help determine your front and even overall direction.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Today is my 30th birthday so I celebrated by taking a day off of working and hitting Tröegs brewery and of course nature’s way nursery. The material there is so reasonably priced. At around $100 each I had to pick up these two green JMs. The first one has 2” trunk and second one is 1.75”. The roots are ehh but not a lost cause. They will fill space on the bench while my cuttings mature into more promising pieces. No clue on direction yet, going to spend a few months getting to know the trees before I make any moves. Ideas are welcome. Using this thread as a place to track their progress until sold or replaced by better trees.
The best part is that there is a different beer can in each photo. Meaning in the time it took to move one tree off the stand and put the other one on you were downing beers!

Sorry folks GGB hasn't replied as he passed out 4 hours ago in a drunken stupor. 🤣

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The best part is that there is a different beer can in each photo. Meaning in the time it took to move one tree off the stand and put the other one on you were downing beers!

Sorry folks GGB hasn't replied as he passed out 4 hours ago in a drunken stupor. 🤣

A truly astute observation 😂

Happy Birthday!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey, busy day that’s all. And an ugly w for the birds. Those injuries were gruesome though.

@MACH5 I realized shortly after posting that one photo isn’t going to help anyone toss ideas out. Once I get to know the trees I’ll add other angles. Root base on the first one is just nice basal flair, a little nervous to dig down into the soil. But, I did buy it as a tree to learn on and that may include learning to airlayer. The second tree has roots that are just good enough to work with imo. Maybe a few grafts for learning sake again.
These trees have flaws I may or may not have skill to correct but I’ll take it very slow do my research before hand. Right now I’m trying to stave off the fungal issues that have been plaguing the acers in my area.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Gavin, have you been to Riverview Nursery on Pricetown road? They have some really cool stuff there for not a lot of money. When I was there I didn't have the cash but $300 could buy an armful of trees. It's not as overflowing with trees like Nature's Way but I would think it's a lot closer to you.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gavin, have you been to Riverview Nursery on Pricetown road? They have some really cool stuff there for not a lot of money. When I was there I didn't have the cash but $300 could buy an armful of trees. It's not as overflowing with trees like Nature's Way but I would think it's a lot closer to you.
Dude, I've never even heard of that place. Willl definitely look into it though. How could i have over looked it?!

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dude, I've never even heard of that place. Willl definitely look into it though. How could i have over looked it?!
I was on my way to Quakertown and drove right by it last week. Never heard of it before. So I stopped on the way back of course.... lol

They have a section called "specialty" they had a jwp, jbp, larches, Norway spruce, and other conifers, a lot of junipers and Japanese maples. Lots of cool stuff for under $70. The maples were expensive though.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maples always are, definitely going to check it out in the next few weeks

Top Bottom