Bitcoin

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've never seen a coherent explanation of "mining" bitcoin. Probably a good reason for that...

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've never seen a coherent explanation of "mining" bitcoin. Probably a good reason for that...
Massive number crunching, which gets more intensive as more is extracted. Modeled after an actual mine shaft. Deeper it goes, more effort to pull it out.

As I understand it.

You dont do this on a PC at home. Takes large amounts of computational and literal electrical power.

Again, as I understand it.

See what I mean...

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just did my taxes. They asked if I received payment on e-currency. Does mean the IRS is on the case?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Massive number crunching, which gets more intensive as more is extracted. Modeled after an actual mine shaft. Deeper it goes, more effort to pull it out.

As I understand it.

You dont do this on a PC at home. Takes large amounts of computational and literal electrical power.

Again, as I understand it.

See what I mean...

I rest my case.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have a big? operation here which amounts to a bunch of shipping container things lined up at an old factory location by an electric substation. Never see any people around. Our city officials were so proud to have the operation come to town, touting new jobs in the closed down factory location. Now I only here crickets...

I don't get it... where is the money? what is backing the money pulled out of computers number crunching?
I guess I'm with @Forsoothe! or maybe I'm just too old and closed minded expecting to see "The Man Behind The Curtain" exposed any day.

I am impressed by the money being made by some. Just don't get it.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Magic tricks always look like magic. They never look like tricks, they look like the guy doing them knows something that we don't. He does, he knows the trick. Ponzi, Bernnie Cornfled, Billy Sol Estes, the list is endless. Put your hand on your wallet and slowly back out the door... Oh! And Phineas Taylor Barnum who is famous for, "There's a sucker born every minute".

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suppose guys like @leatherback would prefer guys like us keep putting our heads in the sand. shrug...
I do keep reading this thread.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup. And Alphabet has done 35%
Most of my investments are in real life companies, market trackers or global funds in medical and energy.

Just.. You never know. I do not understand the core of it. So according to some you should stay away. On the other hand.. You can loose your initial investment. Or you could multiply it in a few years. I am willing to risk a gamble.

I look at this as a version of currency trading. I do not bother trying to understand how the technology behind bitcoin works. That is not what you are putting your money on. You are buying the digital currency, Bitcoin. The idea behind it is that it provides a way of exchanging value between individuals, globally without exchange rate and very low transaction costs. The dream of some is that bitcoin will become the default means of value transfer in the digital economy. With that, combined with the limited number of coins possible to "mine" creates a demand vss supply balans which results in the value given to it, just like any other currency. THe moment people loose trust, value drops (See.. Zimbabwe dollars). Main challenge is.. There is no physical backing. So.. Trust is lost easily, there is a lot of speculation on the value. Only when a solid number of applications for it have been develop can one consider a more stable value. And without a stable value, very few are willing to use it to back a business. So.. SPeculation, really to see where it is going.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The test will be when Mrs. Murgatroyd is denied her broccoli because all she brought to the store was money. 🤢

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A little heads-up. Seems like a USA court considered BTC as a currency in a recent case.

1595883220400.png

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're lucky, you might just break even on your investment after one year... August 8, 2019, Bitcoin price $11,982.
:)

Good thing I got in in august 2017, but you are right. Nasdaq has had the same value development over the 3 years, about 100% increase.
Not that I care much, because I am not betting on one horse, and this horse in particular is unpredicatble which is why

I took the original investment out. Now only gambling with the profit, which I would not have had without investing anyway.

Top Bottom