Bitter Berry Fruiting Question

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Prunus virginiana (bitter berry) and for as long as I have had it, 2 years, I've not seen this flower once. I know it's capable of fruiting because when I got it, it had fruit on it. It grows prolifically every year. What am I doing wrong; also, maybe just thinking intuitively, does it need a mate?

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you pruning the flower buds off? If it's a spring bloomer then perhaps it forms its flower buds in the previous year.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm newer to bonsai than to trees in the ground by allot, but I would guess you're probably on the right track. For a tree to fruit you need others to pollinate it (depending on the variety- some can self pollinate, others require different varieties of similar species to pollinate), and you need pollinators, i.e. bees, flies, butterflies, hummingbirds, etc., as the species is evolved to. Weather can play a roll as late spring frosts or hot dry periods will kill flowers before they can produce.

Complications that can arise from being a bonsai might include...
Size and age: for some species a certain trunk diameter is necessary to move enough nutrients up to the branches to produce fruit.
Root base: can't get those nutrients without enough roots.
Nutrients: an all aggregate/inorganic soil may not provide the tree enough nutrients to fruit.
Working/Stress levels: Part of bonsai is keeping the tree stunted by keeping it slightly stressed, as well as continuous trimming to maintain appearance, both of which can reduce a tree's ability to produce. Also, what @Tums said.
So, as rule of thumb, that perfectly manicured tree in the aggregate substrate in the tiny pot growing tiny leaves is not likely to fruit. Hence fruiting trees in shows are such an exciting deal, and often defoliated. Maybe just let it go for a year and see where it flowers and how much.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Size and age: for some species a certain trunk diameter is necessary to move enough nutrients up to the branches to produce fruit.
Nutrients: an all aggregate/inorganic soil may not provide the tree enough nutrients to fruit.
Working/Stress levels: Part of bonsai is keeping the tree stunted by keeping it slightly stressed, as well as continuous trimming to maintain appearance, both of which can reduce a tree's ability to produce.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Complications that can arise from being a bonsai might include...
I've tucked my trees in for the winter already. But, before I did that, I did slip pot the bitter berry into a bigger grow pot. I was a bit worried that might be the case. So I'll probably have to take it one step at a time and just wait for flowers before I even think about pollinating. Here is a picture of the thing before being slip potted.

61018228_201724710795829_4674340521126546484_n.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've tucked my trees in for the winter already. But, before I did that, I did slip pot the bitter berry into a bigger grow pot. I was a bit worried that might be the case. So I'll probably have to take it one step at a time and just wait for flowers before I even think about pollinating. Here is a picture of the thing before being slip potted.

View attachment 342373

Gorgeous tree. You obviously know more than I do about bonsai, though that's a far cry from trees in the ground. Hope you get the results you're looking for.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Prunus virginiana - locally we call it chokecherry, as bonsai has an uneven record. A number of artists have posted complaints about its growth patterns. But I do not recall specific issues. Cherries in general, genus Prunus, tend to have disease issues. But your individual tree seems quite healthy.

If you are getting flowers, you should get fruit. If you are not getting flowers in spring, the most likely cause is that you have been pruning away the new growth that would bloom in the following spring. To see flowers, stop pruning. Choke cherries flower on the previous season's wood.

You certainly have a nice, interesting trunk. I would like to see how this develops in the future. Keep working with it.

Top Bottom