Bittersweet

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not the actual plant, but my feelings today as I sent away the last of the large trees from my collection. I know that most of them went to those I know well and respect, so these will have long and happy lives. I have many new things on a smaller scale now, my collection has changed drastically over the last 2 years. Not a bad thing at all, and will be a new challenge, so will be fulfilling. BUT, these trees are strangers to me, and my old friends have graduated and moved away. So it's invigorating in some ways, and still a bit melancholy at the same time. Just felt like saying that out loud to people I know will "get it".... Happy trails.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh, and before anyone asks, yes, "that" tree did also go. But I know that we will all be seeing the pig continuing it's development right here at home.
(I did keep the huge Kurume....)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I imagine it is very bittersweet (I feel that way every time I ship off any of my trees), but I'm glad to have one of your trees to continue working on. Still waiting for it to lose its leaves for the season. If you manage to get to Rochester for the National show in 2020, maybe we can arrange a reunion :)

BTW, bittersweet makes nice bonsai. One of our club members has a sweet shohin. If you like the seed pods on Bill's euonymus, you'd almost certainly like bittersweet.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I imagine it is very bittersweet (I feel that way every time I ship off any of my trees), but I'm glad to have one of your trees to continue working on. Still waiting for it to lose its leaves for the season. If you manage to get to Rochester for the National show in 2020, maybe we can arrange a reunion :)

BTW, bittersweet makes nice bonsai. One of our club members has a sweet shohin. If you like the seed pods on Bill's euonymus, you'd almost certainly like bittersweet.
And I'm quite glad you have one of my trees to continue, it's been nice keeping things in the fam. And I know you'll do it proud.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"that" tree did also go.
Ohw.. That is the first tree I thought of. Did Judy not have the big trident..

I am sure i have missed something. Why are you getting rid of your big trees?
Hope you are OK.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ohw.. That is the first tree I thought of. Did Judy not have the big trident..

I am sure i have missed something. Why are you getting rid of your big trees?
Hope you are OK.
Ah, yes all is fine. Thanks for your concern :).
The reason for changing direction is that we are planning on retiring within the next 5 years, and will move to Colorado on some land we own there. I will have to do a new build for the tree area and budget considerations mean that the area must be smaller than my large tree collection would allow. (we have plenty of room on the land but don't want to build anything huge) So in an effort to make it as easy and painless as possible, I decided last year to go ahead and move them on now, so as to get used to the change. Also so I get to know my new trees in my current climate that I understand before I pull up stakes and change my climate and change trees at the same time! Better to have trees that I know well when we make the move.

Not to worry about piglet, as he is in better hands now than mine!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK, good to hear these are just practical considerations. And congrats on retirment. Iam sad to know I have a few decades to go. Stupid european financials.

Sigh. Wish I would have know. Would have loved it on this side of the pond. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Judy, my highest heartfelt atta girl. You placed trees that were your heart...in to capable hands. To go into another aspect of the same hobby,which has grown as a seed in your heart. Only to prosper and take further. I've been watching you collect your shohin collection...superb material my friend.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ah, yes all is fine. Thanks for your concern :).
The reason for changing direction is that we are planning on retiring within the next 5 years, and will move to Colorado on some land we own there. I will have to do a new build for the tree area and budget considerations mean that the area must be smaller than my large tree collection would allow. (we have plenty of room on the land but don't want to build anything huge) So in an effort to make it as easy and painless as possible, I decided last year to go ahead and move them on now, so as to get used to the change. Also so I get to know my new trees in my current climate that I understand before I pull up stakes and change my climate and change trees at the same time! Better to have trees that I know well when we make the move.

We'll welcome you to Colorado. You'll soon be working with some nice poderosa yamadoris here! ?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Judy, my highest heartfelt atta girl. You placed trees that were your heart...in to capable hands. To go into another aspect of the same hobby,which has grown as a seed in your heart. Only to prosper and take further. I've been watching you collect your shohin collection...superb material my friend.
Thank you also. It's sort of full circle, as these small ones were the attraction when I first got the bug.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel for you. I sold my biggest trees last year and was sad to see them go. But then about 3 months later on Facebook I saw a big trident styled by Bjorn Bjorholm at a workshop and I said hey that looks familiar ! It was good to see the new owner taking care of the tree.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I feel for you. I sold my biggest trees last year and was sad to see them go. But then about 3 months later on Facebook I saw a big trident styled by Bjorn Bjorholm at a workshop and I said hey that looks familiar ! It was good to see the new owner taking care of the tree.
Yeah it does hurt a bit, but it's also awesome to know that they move on and get better with the right fit. It's kind of great to feel like a link in a chain on some of the trees I've had, as I know the history before me, and they will move it further.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well that's the bitter, but here is a bit of the Sweet, I did a trade with @MACH5 for this amazing little beautyberry for the Red Beech. It is certainly a sweet tree. Very charming!
View attachment 217842View attachment 217844
Nice! We have a couple of these in our landscape (birds like the berries during the winter when nothing else is around). I've been tempted to try to layer off a piece to work with but have never gotten around to it.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What??? You got rid of piglet??? I hope whoever got it knows what the heck they're doing! :eek:

I will miss my Japanese beauty berry but in capable and loving hands it is! Although all over Japan they're difficult to locate in the US. But happy I'm also gaining a tree I have always loved! :)

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Done a few relocations. Yes, tough letting things go. I’ve also been stubborn and brought stuff with me and had mixed results. On the positive side. Always love the challenge of a new location and material to work with. Starting over and creating something new is really satisfying. Judy you have mentioned how much you like big rocks. In Colorado, they’re a commodity there. You can rock out to your heart’s content.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What??? You got rid of piglet??? I hope whoever got it knows what the heck they're doing! :eek:
LOL, as if...
For the record, for all who have followed the Piglet, Sergio is the new owner and keeper of this amazing tree. I have been honored and lucky to be but a part of it's journey.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Done a few relocations. Yes, tough letting things go. I’ve also been stubborn and brought stuff with me and had mixed results. On the positive side. Always love the challenge of a new location and material to work with. Starting over and creating something new is really satisfying. Judy you have mentioned how much you like big rocks. In Colorado, they’re a commodity there. You can rock out to your heart’s content.
Yes, we have loved the west for long years. We crave mountains like water and food. It seems to be part of us, so we are waiting for it.

Top Bottom