Bittersweet

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Time to try next year, we need more of these in bonsai culture!
Unfortunately I think all of the trunks on mine are pretty straight, but if I can find one with some interest...or maybe I'll put some wire on some branches and twist them and let them grow.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
LOL, as if...
For the record, for all who have followed the Piglet, Sergio is the new owner and keeper of this amazing tree. I have been honored and lucky to be but a part of it's journey.

It's all there. Only thing I have to do is not screw it up! You've done great work on this tree Judy and lucky I get to be a little part of its history. Thank you!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's all there. Only thing I have to do is not screw it up! You've done great work on this tree Judy and lucky I get to be a little part of it's history. Thank you!
Congrats Sergio, I suspected it went to you!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, we have loved the west for long years. We crave mountains like water and food. It seems to be part of us, so we are waiting for it.

Sangre de Christo range is right close, easiest fourteener's you can find. Did a lot of hiking in the area in the early 90's....talk about "wide open spaces"!!!!!:cool:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sangre de Christo range is right close, easiest fourteener's you can find. Did a lot of hiking in the area in the early 90's....talk about "wide open spaces"!!!!!:cool:
Yeah we love the hiking around there. The Sangres are basically right across the street. And it's not far to many more of the wilderness areas we've done lots of backpacking in.
And once she’s familiar with it, COLLECTING FIELD TRIP TO JUDYS NEW HOUSE! ?
I'm in!
Sorry for your loss Judy
Thanks everyone for the support here. It's trees though not dogs, so I suspect I'll survive it! LOL..

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When you get out here we can get you hooked on Rocky Mountain Yamadori. Lots of good stuff very near to your new property. :)
I don't know that has yet to be seen. I love the natural tree around in these areas, but I'm such a deciduous junkie. :p

Reaction score
I don't know that has yet to be seen. I love the natural tree around in these areas, but I'm such a deciduous junkie. :p

No worries about that. Plenty of deciduous shrubs and some trees you can still collect.

Some really amazing Mountain Mahogany to be found for sure. Serviceberry, honey locust, woods rose, spirea, chokecherry, gambel oaks. I could go on, the point though is that if you don't want to collect conifers, that's just fine. I'll collect those and we can find all the sweet deciduous for you.

I also get a fair amount of stuff from people's yards on the front range. Usually deciduous stuff.

When are we scheduling this collecting trip? :) @Cable

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No worries about that. Plenty of deciduous shrubs and some trees you can still collect.

Some really amazing Mountain Mahogany to be found for sure. Serviceberry, honey locust, woods rose, spirea, chokecherry, gambel oaks. I could go on, the point though is that if you don't want to collect conifers, that's just fine. I'll collect those and we can find all the sweet deciduous for you.

I also get a fair amount of stuff from people's yards on the front range. Usually deciduous stuff.

When are we scheduling this collecting trip? :) @Cable
Sweet deal.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Thank you, we are looking forward to it. Westcliffe......

About 20 miles from where I grew up. :) Many summers hiking the 14ers above Westcliff. Many thousands of acres of sweet trees will be very close to you.

By the way... I "get it" also. :) I heard someone muse one tine that we never "own" trees, only care for them and pass them on. Don't know for sure how I feel about that but I know how it is to let go for the sake of the journey...

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Your beautyberry is wonderful. If memory serves we were discussing this species last year and I mentioned that I planted seeds from mine. Not a single seed germinated. (planted in fall and left out, but sheltered, all winter). (Didn't do any research though, just removed the pulp.) Best to all and Happy Thanksgiving!

(Let's all be thankful that we have the resources to participate in this great hobby.)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
About 20 miles from where I grew up. :) Many summers hiking the 14ers above Westcliff. Many thousands of acres of sweet trees will be very close to you.
Yeah, it's amazing. I love the Weimenuch too, over by Pagosa, Durango... Thanks for the thoughts!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your beautyberry is wonderful. If memory serves we were discussing this species last year and I mentioned that I planted seeds from mine. Not a single seed germinated. (planted in fall and left out, but sheltered, all winter). (Didn't do any research though, just removed the pulp.) Best to all and Happy Thanksgiving!

(Let's all be thankful that we have the resources to participate in this great hobby.)
Thanks, I am thankful for many things, and bonsai is one of them.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
JudyB - thank you for sharing you trees with all of us. You should be proud of your excellent work. Sorry you needed to move some of them but I am looking forward to seeing your future projects.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
JudyB - thank you for sharing you trees with all of us. You should be proud of your excellent work. Sorry you needed to move some of them but I am looking forward to seeing your future projects.
Thanks J, it's been a pleasure to share them, I wish more people would share their projects here too.

Top Bottom