Blaauw's and the like

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My only junipers so far are Blaauw because this variety resists rust which we have here every year. All my crab apples were selected for this also. I do not want to compromise on this, and my mind cant be changed. But I would like to add more juniper varieties.
Somehow I love the idea of junipers, I see tiny seedlings every now and then and they already look tree-like. I checked out pics of juniperus occidentalis (western juniper) in the wild and they are fantastic.

Are there other junipers than Blaauw which might reliably withstand rusts? Maybe even chinese juniper cultivars or relatives of Blaauw?

I seem to remember the resistence is related to the blue color of the foliage. I have a hunch some Dutch nurserymen who have been in the business for decades know all about this but I dont know any. Maybe could try esveld I suppose.

Also curious about sowing seeds from Blaauw crossed with shimpaku or occidentalis if that even works

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm not worried about rust anymore because I know how to cure it on a trunk.
If it returns, I'm going to try and cure branches too.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its good to have that option as last resort but I rather avoid the problem

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I seem to remember the resistence is related to the blue color of the foliage.
Fascinating. No idea where seen?
Also curious about sowing seeds from Blaauw crossed with shimpaku or occidentalis if that even works
Feeling like becoming scientist/hybridizer🤔? Possibly someone has already done and could be found?
I'm not worried about rust anymore because I know how to cure it on a trunk.
If it returns, I'm going to try and cure branches too.
Pray do tell please☺️?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fascinating. No idea where seen?
When I restarted bonsai ~2 years ago and was selecting plants to get, I found a forum discussion where gardeners and/or nurserymen talked about rust. Maybe I can find it again, later

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pray do tell please☺️?
If my stalking is accurate, @Wires_Guy_wires talks about it in this post:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yeah, turns out DMSO kills rust at the first touch.
Still haven't tried it on foliage.

I'm not sure if blaauw is resistant to rust.
I know the following trees can have rust issues: chinensis, sabina, turbinata, phoenicea, scopulorum, virginia, pfizer/media (chinensis / sabina hybrids), grey owl virginia, osteospermum, mexicana.
Not sure about itoigawa and kishu.

From what I've read, some junipers don't get apple cedar rust, but do get quince cedar rust, and others are less susceptible to both due to their microbiome of bark features but they can develop it from insects..

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was having this conversation with Bjorn a couple weeks ago and he had mentioned that all of the one seed junipers he’s had were resistant to rust, unlike the RMJs he’s had to contend rust with.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They do seem to get a kind of gymnosporagium, juniper broom rust
1664562033748.png

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
True. I will do some further reading I guess

When you have rust on your trees, which types are hit/ how rare is it?

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My San Jose (chinensis) is susceptible to some form of rust. Hasn't been too bad yet.

Not sure if it's apple or pear rust, but I'm leaning towards pear considering this is all over my pear tree this year...

PXL_20220926_213244197.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220926_213244197.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220926_213244197.MP.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 40

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice fat bottom tree

Are you a Bjorn student? I see you and him and similar taste
I’m taking some private lessons with him and a few other Bonsai professionals. The example I posted is one of his trees I added to my collection!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
When I restarted bonsai ~2 years ago and was selecting plants to get, I found a forum discussion where gardeners and/or nurserymen talked about rust. Maybe I can find it again, later

I think I'd use whatever is in this thread as I sure don't see any CURES in the thread. 😆

Top Bottom