Black and white pines styled by me

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I've been styling back to back to back to back pines at Kouka-en the past few months. It's been great to get lots of experience with them, as less than year prior I barely touched and decandled a black pine for the first time volunteering at the Huntington Gardens. I'm happy to learn and improve my own technique and hope to come back to the states eventually with well rounded knowledge. Bnut is kinda of where I got started with bonsai so I hope I can give back to it. Forgot to take a before on the chokkan white pine but that was a tough project--it was really neglected material with tons of overgrown leggy branches and many near dead ones as well. Wish I had the before on that because visually probably my biggest transformation and maybe my best work given the material I had to start with. I've been pretty transparent with my work, good and bad, as I want to document and showcase my progress:
https://bontsai.com/work/

Generally with styling pines, I pull old needles first, then remove obviously unnecessary branching, and work from bottom up. As pads begin to form you'll be able to discern more easily, what to keep and what to cut. As you finish one pad you balance the next one relative to it so that hopefully when you finish the apex you have a cohesive design with all components of the tree working with each other.
bprestyle-2.jpgDSC07263.JPGchokkan1.jpgwhitepinea-5.jpgwhitepinetwo.jpg

Last edited:

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome dude! You have really progressed fast, and it is impressive! Good on you to follow through on your passion, and really hit the next level. I know we look forward to hosting you in Québec when you return states side.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Awesome dude! You have really progressed fast, and it is impressive! Good on you to follow through on your passion, and really hit the next level. I know we look forward to hosting you in Québec when you return states side.
Thanks Wilson! Bonsai has been a fun journey and has helped me through some stressful times. I remember my first post here 4 years ago asking for help on a foemina. Smoke was the first person to give me advice and refer me. Still have a lot to learn and improve on though. Apprenticeship has made me well aware of how much I don't know...bonsai among others.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Congrats, I am very impressed on your progress, keep us updated!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
love that last pine pictured. trunk height to thickness is doing something for me! ... to me. ..

Top Bottom