Black clay, box pot

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here's an attempt at box shaped pot from a black clay body.

This clay can be temperamental though (especially when glazed) and it has a small crack on the bottom, which makes it perfect for going into my personal garden.

Points to anyone who can identify the flower.

IMG_1752.JPGIMG_1753.JPGIMG_1754.JPG

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Spring beauty’s

lol I didn't realize you were identifying the flower at first. Nice job.

For the record, I had no clue what it was.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The leaves remind me of black mondo grass, Ophiopogon planiscapus, which has small white flowers, except the flowers of Mondo grass tend to be several, to 6 or more on a stem, and tend to point at the ground, not face up.

The flowers in your picture are a very good match for Claytonia virginica, but the leaves are not a good match. If the leaves are from the Claytonia they should get wider, more spoon shaped as the spring progresses.

I suspect you have both Claytonia and Ophiopogon in the same pot.

I like the black clay body by the way. Nice. Your design for the pot is very spare. Very understated. Nice

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The leaves remind me of black mondo grass, Ophiopogon planiscapus, which has small white flowers, except the flowers of Mondo grass tend to be several, to 6 or more on a stem, and tend to point at the ground, not face up.

The flowers in your picture are a very good match for Claytonia virginica, but the leaves are not a good match. If the leaves are from the Claytonia they should get wider, more spoon shaped as the spring progresses.

I suspect you have both Claytonia and Ophiopogon in the same pot.

I like the black clay body by the way. Nice. Your design for the pot is very spare. Very understated. Nice

These guys leaves stay thin during their growing season, even after the flowers have gone. This is the first time they have turned such a deep purple/black. Probably from the summer sun. I'll continue to study them.

Thanks for the comments!

Top Bottom