Black dots and powder on needles.

ibresk

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My first post on the forum, I'm very new to bonsai so thanks for the help!

I recently purchased a juniper from a nursery that was not in excellent condition, but I thought it was better to practice and learn how to care this specie on a cheap plant.

Instead of cutting severely I just put it in full sun, cleaned it removing dead needles and removing very few branches to allow aeration and more uniform sun exposure.

But after a couple of months I'm starting to fear a fungal infestation.
Tips of previous years growth are getting yellow and falling little by little. I can see dry needles with black stains and a sort of powder on the little branches.

Do you have any recommandation?

Many many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20230523_140326__01.jpg
    IMG_20230523_140326__01.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20230523_134432__01.jpg
    IMG_20230523_134432__01.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20230523_134254__01.jpg
    IMG_20230523_134254__01.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 77

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a fungal infection to me.

Recommendation: spray for fungus and try to keep the foliage from getting wet when you water.

A copper based fungal spray for plants should work.

Also put your location on your profile so we know where you are and can give proper advice

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Recommendation: spray for fungus and try to keep the foliage from getting wet when you water.

Also put your location on your profile so we know where you are and can give proper advice
Just wondering Paradox, would cleary's work as well for these fungus problems on different trees or not?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just wondering Paradox, would cleary's work as well for these fungus problems on different trees or not?

It should yes. Cleary's is a good product

However it is generally recommended in areas prone to fungus that you treat prophylactically throughout the spring, summer, fall and rotate between a couple of different products that have different ingredients

ibresk

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in Rome Italy which it seems to be a hardiness zone 9b. Is it possible?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Photos are not real clear. Any chance the black marks are scale insects?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where is the whole tree?

Most of the "problem" (and that's a heavy air quote) needles look to be regular, old, should be turning yellow needles.

Sorce

ibresk

Seedling
Reaction score
A before 04-22 and after 05-24

Attachments

• IMG_20230422_185634__01.jpg
    IMG_20230422_185634__01.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230524_125544.jpg
    IMG_20230524_125544.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 42

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score

Have you repotted it since you bought it as the pot in the 2nd photo is different?
If so did you root prune it ? what compost is it now in?

ibresk

Seedling
Reaction score
No repot done. No root pruning.
It is in a high organic soil with some pumice, it drains acceptably quickly but not too much.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The tray below the pot makes me think it might be standing in water. The rapid leaf drop is a sign too, as is the lighter color of the newer foliage.
How often do you water this plant?

I don't think the issue is fungal, but rather more root health related.

Reactions: AJL

ibresk

Seedling
Reaction score
I have been watering it every day until the water passes thought the soil.

Even if there is a tray, the water does not stagnate as pot it is slightly tilted to promote drainage.

Any recommendation on the watering of Junipers?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have been watering it every day until the water passes thought the soil.

Even if there is a tray, the water does not stagnate as pot it is slightly tilted to promote drainage.

Any recommendation on the watering of Junipers?
Ah I see, well.. I think we found the problem.
Soil like this can hold water for 2-5 days on a 30 degrees C day. I believe Italy is warm compared to here, but not warm enough to evaporate most of the water.

In soils with a high organic content, I water maybe once a week (or more often by accident, and then I get similar issues). You can check how fast or slow the soil dries if you put a piece of wood (like a chopstick) in the soil. When you want to water, take the stick out and check if it's moist. If it's moist, then don't water.
In a couple weeks of doing that, you will get an idea of how many times a week - or maybe how many times a month - you should water. Once you develop a feeling for it, your juniper will probably get healthier and reward you with more growth on the lower parts. But don't expect this to happen too fast, it might take until next year.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Standing water , remove the tray underneath , you’re going into anaerobic conditions in the soil. Needs more oxygen. Don’t over water and spray w copper fungicide to control more foliar damage, avoid spraying the foliage.

ibresk

Seedling
Reaction score
In soils with a high organic content, I water maybe once a week (or more often by accident, and then I get similar issues). You can check how fast or slow the soil dries if you put a piece of wood (like a chopstick) in the soil. When you want to water, take the stick out and check if it's moist. If it's moist, then don't water.
In a couple weeks of doing that, you will get an idea of how many times a week - or maybe how many times a month - you should water. Once you develop a feeling for it, your juniper will probably get healthier and reward you with more growth on the lower parts. But don't expect this to happen too fast, it might take until next year.
Many many thanks for the advice!
I have been keeping all my early stages trees in deep pots with similar organic soils. Other species (Camellias, Pomegranates, Lemon, Roses, Apple trees) were responding correctly to this daily watering.
Probably coniferous need less watering?

Its strange how the pot changed colour from terracotta to green!!
In this photo I just removed the tree from the pot to check the roots.

Standing water , remove the tray underneath , you’re going into anaerobic conditions in the soil. Needs more oxygen. Don’t over water and spray w copper fungicide to control more foliar damage, avoid spraying the foliage.
Very concise thank!

What I will do:
1. Improve watering:
1.1. Remove the tray underneath
1.2. Reduce watering to when needed
2. Prevent/cure fungi
2.1 Spray copper fungicide
2.2 avoid humidity on the foliage

Many many thanks to everyone helping out here! Such a welcoming community!

Top Bottom